Ashland University offers free assistance during tax season

Chante Rutherford, Reporter

With tax season around the corner, many people, including students, will be in need of filing their taxes properly. Here at Ashland University, the College of Business and Economics offers a program to help those in need. They are offering free tax preparation through the Volunteer Income and Tax Assistance Program.

Dr. Victoria Kaskey, Accounting and Management Information Systems Chair, has been spearheading this program since its inauguration three years ago.

“It happened on a whim. Our dean has said he’s heard about the program before and wanted to get it on campus,” Kaskey said

Back when this was mentioned in late September 2016, it needed to be completed by February of 2017.

Kaskey has had prior experience in the VITA program when she was studying at Baldwin Wallace University for her undergraduate years.

“I had remembered my experience there and knew the ins and outs of the program years later. So I contacted the IRS and the rest is history,” Kaskey said.

While students in COBE will take advantage of the training, any student can get in on the chance to learn about filing taxes.

There are three exams that they must take to become certified, Kaskey said.

The first exam is based around conduct. In the exam, you will be assessed on communication skills, working with citizens filing taxes.

Exam number two is based around ethics in filing taxes which includes not giving away information associated with the people you will come in contact with.

The third exam is about general information about taxes and finances. These exams can be done on paper or online.

“People in the community can be apart of VITA too. The exams are still the same,” Kaskey said.

Outside of Ashland, there are many places to help file your taxes for free. Kaskey is a big advocate for access to free assistance.

“There are a couple VITA sites not that far from Ashland. But H&R Block has a program online that allows you to file with no charge,” Kaskey said.

For those who make under $50,000, they are able to use the program for free.

Along with helping and educating college students, teaching about personal finance at younger ages at home and school is highly encouraged by Kaskey.

“I would love to see personal finance taught as early as elementary school if we can. Part of the responsibility of the parents and teacher to teach their kids or students the responsibility of owning a credit card or balancing a checkbook,” Kaskey said.

This is a first come first serve basis, so make sure to set time aside to get your taxes filed. From 2-6 p.m. on Tuesdays and 4-8 p.m. on Thursdays in Room 108 in Dauch, students and community members can meet one on one with a volunteer. If you have any questions, you can call Kaskey at 216-544-4966, or email her at [email protected].