Taste the Culture: International Tea Tasting at AU 

Event featured Chinese and Nepali Tea prepared by the International Community
Dana Krukovska
The tea’s ready to be tasted.

On March 26, International Student Services held an International Tea Tasting which included tea samples from China and Nepal. From 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., every person passing the first floor of the student center had a chance to try a variety of teas.   

The highlight of every tea tasting is free mugs. 55 mugs were bought from Goodwill and sanitized before the event. By the end of the tasting, less than 10 were left. Disposable cups were available for the people who did not want to use mugs. 

Chinese Tea was brought by Na Yang and Dolly Dong from the Coalition for Christian Outreach. There was white tea, dark tea, also known as Fú Chá and Osmanthus Oolong tea. Roll cookies and waffles were offered to complement the taste of vibrant Chinese drinks.  

Zack Van Farowe, event coordinating officer, tried all four drinks but said his favorite was the Oolong tea. “That one was slightly fermented, and it was pretty unique,” he said. 

MBA program students from Nepal prepared their authentic tea. Nepali Chiya is milk-based and has a complex flavor created by the blend of spices, including cardamom, ginger, black pepper and cinnamon. 

Prakash Banjara, an MBA student from Nepal tried Chinese tea but pointed at Nepali Chiya when asked to choose his favorite. “I have been drinking this tea since my childhood, so I would definitely pick this one,” said Banjara. 

Tea tasters had a chance to win a snack basket in a raffle. Surupa Sangat, MBA student, became the lucky one and got the prize. She immediately started sharing sweets with her friends.  

Tea Tasting is held every semester, said Jennifer Winninger, director of the ACCESS Program and ISS. The choice of teas may vary but the event always attracts the AU student body.  

The next event by the ISS is the International Spectacular on April 19 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Upper Convo. It will include speeches, dancing, singing, storytelling and artwork presented by international students to celebrate and share the rich culture of AU`s international community.  

International students willing to participate should sign up in advance.  

For more information follow ISS Instagram page or reach out at [email protected].