Breaking: Ashland University announces new president

The 31st president of the university is now officially Jon Parrish Peede
175 Views
Katelyn Meeks
The archway leading onto the campus of Ashland University.

Ashland University announces its 31st president, Jon Parrish Peede, former chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities. 

According to a press release from AU, Peede will begin his role as president on June 1, 2024. 

Peede comes with more than 25 years of leadership experience in higher education and federal agencies.  

“I am honored to serve the Ashland students, faculty, staff, alumni, trustees and supporters. I admire the university’s steadfast commitment to its Christian heritage, liberal arts core, graduate programs and high teaching standards,” Peede stated in the release. “I look forward to building upon the momentum of Dr. Campo’s administration. “And, I cannot wait to work with the faculty and staff who give so much of themselves to mentor students and transform lives. Nancy and I are overjoyed about joining the Ashland community.”

Jon Parrish Peede. This photo has been taken from his official Wikipedia page.

He previously has some experience with AU, serving as a visiting faculty member for AU’s MFA in Creative Writing and has spoken at multiple events across the state of Ohio. 

Jim Hess, AU chairman of the Board of Trustees said Peede stood out in the presidential search.  

“His past experiences as a leader and unifier will benefit Ashland University as we sharpen our focus on branding and navigate the changes in higher education,” Hess said in the release. “Jon is an innovative and strategic thinker who will build on all the good that is currently in place and move us forward to a brighter tomorrow. 

Peede is married to Rev. Nancy Hollomon-Peede, who has been a spiritual director and minister for various denominations and churches during her 35-year career in ministry, and has a daughter, Somerset, who is currently pursuing a postgraduate viola performance degree at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music in Australia. 

The Collegian will keep following the updates on the new president of AU.