Ashland University celebrates annual International Spectacular 

International students and staff share about their home cultures with the Ashland community 
Evan Kemp
AU international student presentations took place in the Trustee’s Room in Upper Convo.  

On Friday, April 19 Ashland University celebrated its annual International Spectacular event in the upper John C. Meyers Convocation Center.  

The event began at 10 a.m. with a welcome speech and involved international student presentations, cultural performances and a fashion show at the end of the event. 

The event was open to the public and all international students at AU were encouraged to come celebrate and teach others about their home countries and cultures.  

Some of the many topics discussed by students involved holiday and wedding traditions, cultural business practices and educational practices of their home countries.  

Members of the Ashland University and Ashland County communities learned more about the international students who call AU their college home.  

Open question and answer sessions were held with student speakers following their presentations and visitors were given the chance to ask students about different aspects of their country.  

Students were invited to participate in cultural performances as solos or groups. These performances ranged from vocal, instrumental, dance and fashion shows. 

These performances took place towards the end of the event in Upper Convo at 2:30 p.m. with a cultural fashion show following shortly after to round out the rest of the event.  

AU’s International Spectacular is celebrated closely with the university’s Ashland Center for English Studies program that offers an intensive English program to international professionals, undergraduate and graduate students.  

To get more information about Ashland University’s ACCESS program you can contact program director Jennifer Wininger at [email protected] or by phone at 419-289-5123.