Guest Wes Woodson speaks at Ashland University CAB mental health event  

AU has many different mental health resources on campus for students 
Evan Kemp
Wes Woodson speaks at CAB mental health event.  

About 60% of students report feeling overwhelming anxiety at some point during their education. 

Mental health issues are something most college students struggle with during their time in school.  

Ashland University’s Campus Activity Board hosted guest speaker Wes Woodson on Thursday to discuss his own mental health struggles growing up and to talk about ways that students can deal with the often-overwhelming emotions that come with college life.  

Woodson, a recent 2020 college graduate, struggled with his mental health throughout his childhood. Telling of his struggles with test anxiety and social anxiety, Woodson advocated for the many different resources that were made available to him throughout his time as a student. 

Woodson opened up to the students in attendance about his experiences in an outpatient program for students struggling with intense mental health crises.  

“I got a chance to meet other students that had anxiety” Woodson said, “There’s so many different ways of getting help when you’re in a mental health crisis.”  

Not all mental health struggles require therapy or professional help, but it is important to Woodson and CAB that students are aware of the resources that are available to them.  

Ashland University sophomore Sam Vincent, who is a member of CAB was especially glad to see the activity board shedding light on mental health. 

“This isn’t our typical [CAB] event, usually we have more light-hearted fun events,” Vincent said. “It’s important to let anyone that might have anxiety know that they are not alone, and this talk can help them.”  

Woodson finished the event by having an open Q&A session with the students in the audience. 

An important topic discussed was the male stigmatization when it comes to mental health struggles and the fact that women are more likely to seek help along the lines of mental health.  

Woodson admitted that this was something that he himself struggled with. 

“For me as a man, there was that layer of if I tell anyone what happened nobody is going to believe me because I’m a man. And am I weak for getting help?”  

Woodson stresses that nobody is ever weak or less than for seeking help for any type of mental struggle. 

“A big reason I do what I do is to hopefully offer a mirror to other male individuals who might resonate with my story and challenge that narrative that you are not weak at all.” 

Woodson has shared his story and offered this metaphorical mirror to students from over 50 high schools and universities across the country.  

“If I could just inspire one student wherever I am to feel less alone with what they’re going through, that’s why I do what I do.” 

This sentiment is Woodson’s mission as he continues to bring awareness to mental health resources within schools.  

Ashland University has many different emotional wellness resources for students seeking help.  

The Jack and Deb Miller Memorial on campus offers a prayer garden, prayer rooms and sanctuaries in the upper and lower chapel for anyone who may need a quiet place to go.  

Ashland’s Psychological Counseling Services is in the Student Center and can be called at 419-289-5200.