AU Poetry Society returns to campus this spring semester  

The club meets every Wednesday at 6 p.m. to discuss, write and share poetry 
The AUPS and WCC collaboration for Valentine’s Day 

The Ashland University Poetry Society has returned to boost the literary presence on campus this spring semester. 

The Poetry Society was created by AU junior Heath Johnston to fill a void on campus among those interested in creative writing and language. 

“I started AU Poetry Society last year because I felt like there wasn’t as much of a representation or an organization or club that’s interested in doing creative writing and poetry,” Johnston said. 

The club meets on Wednesdays to learn about, discuss and share all kinds of poetry and other forms of writing. The club meetings include fun activities such as creative writing workshops, poetry contests and open mic nights for students to work on and share their writing with other students. 

There are many opportunities for those involved in the Poetry Society to learn more about poetry and writing as the club is involved with the Writing and Communication Center on campus.  

“There will be speaker events that talk about literary movements, poetry movements, fantastic poets and more” Johnston said, “The first speaker to come in will be in March [to speak] on the Spanish literary movement and political resistance through literature and poetry.” 

The Poetry Society began as a personal mission for Johnston to build a culture of creative writing and community within those interested in language and literature on campus.  

“The very end goal is something very big that can live on past me and have a sweeping effect across the university and can build in with the culture.” Johnston said.  

It is Johnston’s plan to eventually have a place where students can share their creative works for other students and faculty to read and access so that their writing can be published and viewed by many.  

This collection will be called The Eagle’s Quill and will contain writing submissions from students that they worked on throughout the semester.  

There was a great turnout after the club’s first meeting on Jan. 31, and with the structure moving forward, Johnston expects attendance and participation in the Poetry Society to continue to grow. 

First year student Nora Bacon has recently gotten involved in the Poetry Society and is grateful for the sense of community it brings.  

“Exploring poetry with others often brings people together to discuss fundamental parts of the human experience, whether that’s writing together or reading critically together” Bacon said.  

Anyone who has any interest in learning more about the Poetry Society is encouraged to come to one of the club’s meetings to get more information and get involved.  

“If you find any interest in reading lyrics of songs, connect yourself to language in general, [or] if you read something that inspires you and makes you feel something, come to the Poetry Society.” Johnston encourages, “It gives you a sense of community with an ability to connect with everybody on these feelings that you have.”  

The Poetry Society will continue to meet on Wednesdays from 6 – 7 p.m. 

To stay up to date on the location of meetings, information covered each week, or any other news for the Poetry Society, check the Engage Ashland website or email Heath Johnston at [email protected]