AU Art + Design faculty featured in Coburn Art Gallery

Alayna Ross

The Coburn Gallery opens its new exhibition featuring the works from the Ashland University Art + Design Department Faculty which runs from Jan. 23 through Feb. 23.

This year, the AU Art + Design Department Faculty Exhibition will feature the work of Keith Dull, Priscilla Roggenkamp, Dan McDonald, Cynthia Petry and Michael Bird.

The artwork featured in this year’s exhibition includes both two-dimensional and three-dimensional pieces.

Priscilla Roggenkamp, associate professor of art, has four pieces on display: framed woven panels, two fabric collages and a piece made of four separate fabric pieces intertwined called “(Not) Our Bodies Ourselves.”

“The (Not) Our Bodies Ourselves piece uses clothing as a symbol to illuminate issues of female agency of their own bodies,” Roggenkamp said. “The collages are explorations of form, color and placement with the added interest of our human relationship with clothes and fabric, while the woven pieces are a way for me to play with loom weaving, a relatively new interest of mine.”

Keith Dull, professor of art, teaches courses in printmaking, painting, drawing, illustration and 2D design.

Dull has been participating in the faculty art exhibition since he started at AU in 1999 and in his view, the faculty exhibition is the most important exhibition he participates in during the year.

“All of our students are expected to work towards a cohesive body of exhibition ready work, and this show is an opportunity for my students to see me take a fragment of an idea, and transform it into a finished body of work,” Dull said. “As nice as it is to have my work exhibited at interesting venues in far off places, the line on the resume means little to our students who can’t make the trip to see the show.”

For more about the Art + Design Faculty Exhibition, go to www.ashland.edu/coburngallery or the gallery’s page on Facebook.

The Coburn Gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Gallery admission is free and open to the public.