Dr. Randolph Roth speaks at Symposium

Inequality and Quality of Life: A Global View

Alayna Ross

Dr. Randolph Roth lectures to students, faculty and professors at Ashland University.

Alayna Ross

The Symposium Against Indifference at Ashland University continues to stimulate conversation surrounding liberty and responsibility with the most recent lecture by Dr. Randolph Roth.

For this installment in the series of events, Roth spoke on the subject of “Inequality and Quality of Life: A Global View” on Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 7 p.m. in the Trustees Room within the Myers Convocation Center.

Roth is a professor of history and sociology at The Ohio State University. Roth’s research includes in-depth examinations into social and cultural history, with a specialization in the history of crime and violence and social theory.

Alongside his research, Roth published “American Homicide and Child Murder in America” in 2009 which looks at the reasons and influences that make the United States the most homicidal affluent nation in the world.

Roth spoke on the causes and consequences of inequality across countries and throughout history. Roth spent special time to examine these issues within the United States and why these problems have increased so rapidly in the most recent years.

“American Homicide” written by Dr. Roth in 2009, looks at the causes and consequences of the increase of murder in the United States.

“We really need to look at the science of this and ask ourselves what’s the healthy balance between having a certain level of inequality so that people that work harder can achieve and people that are less ambitious are free to be less ambitious, but we can’t let that go too far without damaging the whole social fabric and ourselves,” Roth said. “That’s what I want people to take away from this.”

Aubrey Curtis, freshman at AU, believes the presentation is an important perspective for college students seeking to make a difference.

“It gives me a broader perspective of how we live as a society, compared to the rest of the world and how we can take a stand for equality,” Curtis said.

Alongside the multitude of students and members of the community, the professors of AU made a significant portion of the crowd.

Dr. David Aune, a professor of religion, found the lecture to be valuable information to all who were in attendance, no matter their area of study or expertise.

“Dr. Roth brought in facts that have to do with history, geography, certainly sociology, but towards the end, also social issues on what people can do about the inequality,” Aune said. “I think that it really relates because it doesn’t have one particular focus, its really general for whoever could listen to it.”

The Symposium Against Indifference is a biennial series of lectures, discussion panels and more that seek to promote knowledge and conversation regarding various human concerns. The theme for this year’s event is, Liberty and Responsibility., was motivated by the 100th anniversary of the Nineteenth Amendment and the appeal and ratification of the Eighteenth Amendment that had once banned liquor in the United States.