Cuts in federal funding next year

By Glenn Battishill

While the battle over the deficit has been raging in Washington for weeks, nearly resulting in a government shutdown, there has been a similar debate on the state government level. For the 2011-2013 State of Ohio budget there is a $8 billion projected deficit, and part of that budget funds the Ohio Opportunity Grant, a need-based grant program that gave 628 Ashland University students a total of $1.025 million dollars for the 2010-2011 academic year.

The grant program has recently fallen under fire and could potentially be reduced. Ashland University’s Financial Aid Office has begun to take conservative measures regarding the financial aid award letters thatare being sent to future students and current students.

“We aren’t listing the grant on the award letters until we know for sure that it’s been approved for the state budget,” Stephen Howell, director of financial aid, said.

If students aren’t sure whether or not they receive this grant, Howell said he encourages students to contact their financial aid advisor.

“You can find out if you have this grant by checking your [previous] award letters on WebAdvisor,” Howell said. “Or you can contact your adviser; we are happy to talk to [students] about the implications.”

Howell said students and their parents can get involved with the debate.

“It is critical that in the next few days students, parents, faculty and staff contact their legislators to ask them to support the governor’s proposal to fund the Ohio College Opportunity Grant at the $41 million level for students attending private colleges,” Howell said in an email. Contact information for legislators and the governor is available at www.legislature.state.oh.us and www.governor.ohio.gov.

Financial aid is also under fire on a federal level, as well. As a result of the economic recession, the Federal Pell Grant program has grown from $13.5 billion in 2006-2007 to $28.2 billion in 2009-2010. Currently, the maximum grant amount it $5,500 and a budgetary cut would reduce the maximum award by $825. The Pell Grant awards students based on the expected family contribution as determined by FAFSA, and for the 2010-2011 year, 1,110 AU students have received at total of $3.937 million in Pell Grants.

Howell said that neither cut is finalized and both are still under discussion by the government.

“Again, the Financial Aid Office is urging students, parents, faculty and staff to, in the next few days, contact their Congressmen to request their support which would maintain the maximum Federal Pell Grant of $5,550,” Howell said in an email. Contact information for Congressmen is available at www.senate.gov and www.house.gov.

Parents or students that have questions or concerns about theses issues are welcome to contact their financial aid counselor at ext 5002 or by emailing [email protected].