Revamped meal plans grant students more options

By Susan McConnell

There was confusion among students about the meal plans. Specifically: what their personal plan entails. The meal plans had a serious revamp for the new school year. Only one plan from last year is still available. Although it is considerably late in the year for the confusion to be addressed, this is what students need to know about what they signed up for.

Last year, student senate wanted to utilize the meal plans. Previously, the meal plans were weekly, basically meaning that what meals you didn’t use, you lost. The new meal plan options have addressed the old problems. Some new additions that these meal plans give the students are guest meals and equivalency. Those additions are a part of the 240 block plan.

Guest meals are where you can have someone use one of your meals as long as their meal doesn’t surpass $6.50. When you want someone else to use one of your meals, your card will be swiped twice. Equivalency means that you can use your meal plan in other AU food venues, such as the Eagle’s Nest, Tuffy’s Smoothie Bar and the Schar Café.

The meal plan without equivalency is the 240 block plan with 150 Eagle Dollars. With the Eagle Dollars you could eat at the other venues and use the money for vending machines, laundry, and the bookstore. But, you only get 150 dollars from the school. If you run out before the year ends, you must use your own money.

When using equivalency, you should use it wisely. An example would be that buying a 90 cent candy bar would not be worth it because you would be using an entire $6.50 meal on something you could have bought with your own money. For very small purchases, the 150 Eagle Dollar plan is convenient. Some more advice would be that you go to the dining hall the most for meals because the dining hall has a buffet format that allows you to eat as much as you want. Using equivalency at the other food venues is fine, but you have a limit to what you can get.

If you max $6.50 at the other food venues, you can pay the rest with your own money. Or, you can use two meals, which would give you a $13 limit. You should avoid using two meals for one if you can, but if you chose that method, get the most for your buck. Even if you feel satisfied with what you can get with $7, try to spend all $13.

It’s too late in the year now to switch plans, but for future reference, if you did decide to switch meal plans before the deadline, if you switched from the Eagle Dollar plan to something else and you had already spent any of the money that AU gave you, you will have to pay it back, but you don’t have to repay the meal plan if you switch. The main meal plans all cost the same per semester.

General Manager of Dining Operations, Fred Geib, suggested to students that they should be careful how fast they use their meals. It is possible to use them all before the semester ends. Try to use the dining hall most often because you will get the most for the amount you pay.