The only freshman on a star-studded team

By Melanie Sudar

There are a lot of firsts when it comes to college. First time living on your own; first roommate; first big responsibility; and the first time you make your own decisions.

But for freshman McKenzie Miller, she had a different list of “firsts.”

Miller is the only freshman on the Ashland University women’s basketball team. And within her first season on the team, they have gone almost undefeated and are now headed to the Elite Eight in San Antonio.

Miller said it feels like a dream, and is beyond excited to be participating in this experience.

“It’s just incredible,” she said. “This is my first experience in college and I get to go to the national tournament. It’s unreal. I feel so honored and so blessed that I can be a part of this team.”

Although Miller is new to AU’s team of champions, making it far in basketball is almost normal for her. At Hiland High School, Miller’s basketball team made it to the state championships three out of her four years there. Each game was unique in its own way, but all three ended in a loss.

“[It was a] great experience, it just didn’t end the way we wanted it to,” she said. “But I guess things happen for a reason.”

Originally coming from Berlin, Ohio, Miller is the only girl in her family. With one older brother and a twin brother, sports are a big part of Miller’s family. Cameron, Miller’s twin brother, also played basketball in high school, and both of her parents are involved.

“My dad coaches [at my high school] and my mom helps any way she can,” she said. “[My mom] does the hospitality room and goes to every single game.”

Although Miller only did basketball in high school, and now in college, she said she did almost everything else when she was younger including baseball, soccer and track.

“I just love sports,” she said. “I do it all the time. Anything I can do, I’ll do it.”

In the fall of 2012, Miller joined the Ashland University women’s basketball team. She said her decision to go to Ashland wasn’t hard at all. Although she was wanted by other schools, Miller said AU stood out the most.

“I got recruited pretty hard from the coaches,” she said. “The girls were awesome and I just felt like I fit in here. And it was a small campus and it wasn’t too far from home – I just like the closeness of it. I was just really drawn here.”

Miller said the team made it easy for her to feel at home. She said that nerves were definitely high when she first joined the team, but the women helped her feel comfortable.

“As first I was really nervous, being the only freshman on a high-caliber team,” she said. “But they seriously welcomed me with open arms. They didn’t exclude me, and that was one thing that was really, really nice. They didn’t treat me like a freshman, and they never treated me like I was younger than them. I was just one of them, right when I got here.”

Sophomore Melanie Poorman has become very close with Miller and said that the team has really embraced Miller. She said that her personality also makes it easier.

“I think it’s been really cool having her be the only freshman and all the other players have really bought into and she’s really close with everyone on the team,” she said. “She’s just really friendly, really easy to get to know and really easy to like. All the players, especially the older girls, have really taken her under wing and made her feel really at home. Everyone really loves having her.”

Miller is a part of what is known as a “Scout Team.” This means that she learns the other teams’ plays and mimics them in practice in order for Ashland to know what to expect during games. Poorman said that Miller really embraces this role and that her playing in general is one to be recognized.

“She’s a really hard-nosed player. She’s not afraid – she plays so fearless, especially for being a freshman,” Poorman said. “She’s been a really important part of our team this year. She has to emulate the other team’s best player all the time, and she does a great job.”

Poorman also said that Miller brings a lot to the team through her personality in generous. She said that between her faith and fun, Miller is a great person to have.

“She brings a lot of energy and excitement to our team,” she said. “She’s such a positive force to have because she’s always happy, always goofy. She makes everyone laugh. It’s been really nice to have her a part of the team. She also brings a good spiritual side with her faith. It’s been refreshing to have someone like that around and someone that you want to be around all the time.”

As expected, the team will be different next year. This means that roles within the team will change, and Poorman believes Miller will embrace this and has a good future ahead of her.

“She holds all the qualities of a really good leader,” she said. “She’s going to have to step up and be a leader for our team the next three years and she has a really bright future here at Ashland.”

Both Miller and Poorman agree that the team is unique in the aspect of how close they all are. According to both of them, there is no drama or arguments within the team, and it adds to their success.

“We’re definitely a different team than most,” Miller said. “We’re very, very close. There really is no drama on the team, and I think that’s one of the reasons that we are successful right now, just because we’re one team that even if one thing’s going wrong in the season, we’re not going to get mad at each other; we’re not going to yell; we’re not going to scream. We work things out and we’re just really, really close.”

Poorman agreed and said that seeing each other so often adds to the friendships.

“We are literally best friends and it’s really cool because you get to hang out with your best friends and see each other every day,” she said. “We spend so much time together but there’s absolutely no issues or problems on the team. We all love each other.”

Throughout the season, Miller said she feels beyond blessed to be a part of the Ashland University women’s basketball team, especially with their current success.

Although her part may not be as big, she is excited and wears her AU uniform with pride.

“Even though I don’t play tons of minutes, I’m still just as part of this team as the rest of them,” she said. “I’m just really, really honored to be a part of this team and be a part of this experience.”