Ashbrooks and Honors: Comparing and contrasting the two groups

By Kate Brickner

The Ashbrook Scholar Program is an intense academic program rooted in the disciplines of history and political science. It is an independent, self-sufficient center on the university. It does its own fundraising but maintains a connection with the campus and keeps communication through board meetings.

As the website articulates, its main focus is “to assist students in acquiring the intellectual and moral virtues required for thoughtful citizenship.”

“The purpose” Scholar/Website Coordinator Ben Kunkel commented, “is to create a total education of a student.”

The program focuses specifically on what have been called “the big questions” and challenge students to think critically.

Kunkel added, “The program is not strictly structured, and Ashbrook Scholars need only to complete a minor in Political Science or History to maintain their position in the program.”

However, events such as luncheons and colloquia with guest speakers is mandatory, as is the thesis at the end of the students’ undergraduate career.

Another unique quality of the Ashbrook Center is the mandatory orientation, which requires students to move into the Ashbrook housing two days early, which they must live in their first semester.

The orientation includes discussion and review of Winston Churchill essays written prior to arrival, two informal classes with the program director, a softball game, academic jeopardy, a movie night and an etiquette dinner, which brings students together before the rest of the campus arrives.

The Honors Program is, as the Program Director Dr. Swanson put it, is “…intended for academically talented students with any majors or minors across the entire campus.”

The program operates under and receives its budget from the university.

The program has two parts: academic and social. The Honors Advisory Board, comprised of Honors faculty and students deals with academic matters and issues while the Honors Society comprised solely of students plans events such as movies nights, euchre tournaments and philanthropic work for Honors students.

The Honors program is broad, offering, as the website outlines, “cross-disciplinary experiences, participation in an intellectual community devoted to discussion and dialogue, and special projects and courses that challenge the mind.”

The program provides for events such as co-hosting speakers, various Honors Society games and philanthropies, and an Honors program retreat which takes place after the first week of school.

The Honors program also offers a study abroad trip every summer, this next being the Greek/Turkish Odyssey.

The Honors program is structured academically and socially. Academically, students must begin in a specific Honors AOS class and eventually take four approved Honors core courses, each in different subjects.

For example, instead of taking Communications 101, one could take the Honors option. After that, a study abroad or alternative option, two interdisciplinary courses, and independent study to work on the Honors capstone project are required.

The Honors capstone project is similar to the Ashbrook thesis, neither necessarily always completed in essay form. The capstone can be a presentation, project, or experiment, and past Ashbrook theses have included experiments and even a computer program.

“Both programs attempt to offer special opportunities to academically talented students,” said Swanson. They even collaborate together on some classes as well as thesis/capstone work.

While the programs are essentially different, one being a scholar program and one an honor program, there are many similarities as well.

They both strive for academic achievement, require rigorous coursework, and are embedded as symbols of academic excellence on campus.

Ashbrook Program

Directed by Dr. Peter Schramm

Taylor Essay Competition

Thesis

3.0 GPA required

Housing in Andrews Hall

All members receive scholarships

Assigned reading during first summer

Honors Program

Directed by Dr. Chris Swanson

Honors Aithesis

Capstone

3.3–3.5 GPA required

Housing in Clayton Hall

Selective members receive scholarships

Assigned reading every summer