Surviving Residence Life

By Ryan Sampson

The Ashland University Residence Life Office has kept a strict policy when it comes to living on campus. That policy has been enforced and practiced by the employees of Residence Life for many years.

The goal for Res Life is for every student that lives on campus to have an equal opportunity to have a safe and enjoyable stay when they are attending school here at Ashland. Res Life has caught somewhat of a bad name when it comes to enforcing their campus dormitory policy, which has led to many students becoming frustrated when it comes to living on campus.

For Junior Clayton Hall resident Vince Frate he is upset by how strict the Resident Assistants and Directors can be during their stay, “It’s hard to live a real college life, when the RA’s in the building are constantly writing people.”

Being written up can occur to any student, even if they don’t live in the building that the violation has taken place, if you are in the room where the violation occurs you are liable to the same punishment as the residents in the room.

Things that you can be written up for include, noise complaint during quiet hours, having a guest of opposite sex after visiting hours, tampering with school property, having appliances or non-regulation lofts in your room, and the big one no alcohol on campus.

Ashland University is a dry campus which means if you are seen with any alcohol whatsoever on campus and you don’t live in a senior apartment, you will be written up.

For Resident Assistant of Kilhefner Austin Strittmatter, he has had to write up the most amounts of people for alcohol policy, “out of all of my write ups, alcohol is the biggest reason, I don’t know why the people that get caught think I don’t know about it… I know they have it and they always get caught.”

For most college students, it’s a time where they can finally break free from their parents and have some fun, it’s a time where drinking and partying become second nature for most of their collegiate life. However Ashland University and Res Life along with Safety Services have made clear to the students from the moment of Orientation, this is a “dry campus” and any attempt to go against that will be met with the proper punishment.

However alcohol is the biggest reason for write ups, another big reason for being written up are noise complaints. During Finals week, there is a campus wide policy of “quiet hours” which is a designated time in which students in the dorms must be courteous to their neighbors and allow the proper environment for students to study for their exams.

During Finals week quiet hours are strictly enforced and if there is any complaint from a neighbor or student in the dorm towards a resident, they will immediately be written up.

Clayton Hall Resident Director Joel Collado believes that it is very important for students to be conscious of the other residents trying to work and study. The Res Life Department is not trying to get you in trouble; they are just trying to make sure that living on campus is safe and enjoyable for everyone living here.