16th annual Emerson Scholarship Luncheon awards ten students with scholarships

Submitted by Jacob Martin

This year’s Emerson Scholarship recipients with Paul McKnight (middle)

On April 13, the 16th annual Emerson Scholarship Luncheon was held inside the Dauch College of Business and Economics room 115.

The recipients join 150 other students who have won the award since 2008. This year’s scholarship recipients were Joseph Betani, Nikolai Lensikov, Madison Kurtz, Jacob Martin, Lindsay Mayo, John McCabe, Antonio Rhodes, Hunter Schuck, Isabella Simmons, and Joel Williams.

The students were selected by the College of Business and Economics faculty and scholarship committee, chaired by Dan Fox, dean of the College of Business and Economics.

To meet the requirements to apply for the scholarship, students need to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, any business major excluding Hospitality Management, Sport Management, and Fashion Merchandising, demonstrated outstanding leadership in both college and the community, and have the potential to be a high contributor in their chosen careers.

The scholarship includes a financial award of $3,500 for the 2023-2024 academic year and the honor of calling oneself an “Emerson Scholar”. The scholarship is funded by the Emerson Charitable Trust of the Emerson Electric Company and Paul McKnight, an alumni of Ashland University and retired senior VP of organizational planning of Emerson Electric Company.

McKnight recalls that the Emerson Scholars Program was created after meeting with Ralph Tomassi, senior associate vice president for development at Ashland University.

“Successful companies must have the right people in the right place at the right time if they expect to win in the global marketplace because advancing people is a top priority at Emerson,” said McKnight.

In accordance with this commitment, the Emerson Electric Company created a charitable trust that donates annually to educational organizations and local communities.

In 2022, the trust donated approximately $10 million to education, including the Emerson Scholars Program.

Emerson Electric is an American multinational corporation and Fortune 500 company which manufactures products and provides engineering services for industrial, commercial, and consumer markets. Emerson Electric produces 65% of all the electric car batteries in the world, has parts in 90% of the world’s nuclear power plants, and has their systems implemented with over 60,000 wind turbines.