AU students awarded the chance to engage in mentorships for better experiences

Dr. Diane Bonfiglio

Early Promise Award recipients and mentors

The Early Promise Award is an opportunity for students to create mentorships and enhance their educational experience.

According to Dr. Diane Bonfiglio, professor of psychology, the award’s goal is “to help students who are at AU [during] their first four semesters to establish a mentoring relationship with a faculty member, or an alum of the university, or one of our trustees or an older student.”

Students have the opportunity to get involved in internships, job shadowing or go with the mentor on conference trips. The award will cover the cost associated with these opportunities.

Junior Haven Farson was one of the recipients of this award. To Farson, receiving the award meant that she had faculty members who cared enough about her, and her future to nominate her for an opportunity that would benefit her in a variety of ways.

Farson was offered a tax internship at one of the firms she visited during her Promise Award Trip. She is excited to take the spring off and acquire experience with a local accounting firm in Akron, Ohio.

For eligibility, students must be nominated by a faculty member. Faculty must explain how the student has shown “remarkable promise” in their studies, students must also attach their transcripts, applications are evaluated by academic counsel, such as deans and provosts.

Applications are open at any time of the year, however a celebration will be held for all student recipients at the end of the academic year. Ardith Amon, James Dunn, Haven Farson, Dru Johnson, Jessie Mayne, Katelyn Meeks and Megan Rider were the recipients of the award this previous year.

More information regarding this award can be found by contacting Dr. Diane Bonfiglio at [email protected].