Veterans center guides the transition from “soldier to student”

The+Veterans+center+is+located+on+524+College+Ave.+

KATIE HARRIGAN

The Veterans center is located on 524 College Ave.

Katie Harrigan

The Ashland University Military and Veterans Center provides current and former military members with opportunity and support as they begin their college journey. Through benefit assistance, academic planning and one-on-one attention, the Veterans Center brings a personal approach to academic life.
Military and Veteran service Center Director Randy Spade described the organization as providing an “accent on the individual” for military members or dependents. The Veterans Center helps students find their vocation through a staff and community that understands life post-service.
“Each family is assigned a designated recruitment specialist who will work in conjunction with the admissions department to provide an excellent campus experience to the family,” Spade said. He added that recruitment specialists offer assistance throughout applying for financial aid and planning your degree.
The majority of recruitment specialists have first-hand experience with the military which gives them the required knowledge to guide others. They are dedicated to the success of students and are eager to see them achieve their goals.
Mason Feeman has been a member of the Army National Guard for five years. He graduated from Ashland University in December 2021 and currently works as a recruitment specialist with the Veterans Center.
Feeman expressed that the Veterans Center was a valuable asset to his own college experience. They helped cover the cost of living on campus and provided him work opportunities as a student.
“I got to be a student worker through the department as a wellness coach for all the military students,” Feeman said. “After getting hired full time as a recruitment specialist, I am continuing my role as a wellness coach to develop programs for any current or incoming students.”
Feeman stated that his goal is not only to tell students why they should attend AU, but to show them that they belong to a community that values personal relationships.
“It’s not about getting you degree and getting out,” Feeman said. “We’re creating life-long connections that will better you more than any other school.”
Feeman’s favorite part of the recruitment process is meeting with students and seeing their enthusiasm for all the resources they have access to with the Veterans Center. This includes counseling, internship opportunities, tutoring, job placement assistance and communal spaces to interact with other military affiliated students.
“They’ll come here thinking that they’re going to attend a different college but by the time they leave, they’re convinced that Ashland is where they want to be,” Feeman said. “Knowing we made that connection is very rewarding.”
In the state of Ohio, the Ashland University Veterans Center is one of the only stand-alone military facilities on a college campus.
Administration assistant and enrollment specialist Chelsea Weiler said the accessibility of the Veterans Center gives students the security of knowing someone is always available to accommodate their needs.
“It’s convenient that we’re all right here,” Weiler said. “If a student comes in, we drop everything we’re doing and help them figure out the situation at hand.”
Weiler revealed that the program is expanding as enrollment rates for military students is increasing both on and off campus.
“In the past couple months we doubled our enrollments and engagement,” Weiler said. “Right now we have over 300 military connected students ranging from veterans, dependents, active duty and military spouses.”
Ashland University Junior and Education Major Gwen Smith is one student who has been impacted by the Veteran Center’s staff and services. She was part of the Air Force for five years before pursuing college.
“I didn’t know what the transition process would look like at all,” Smith said. “As soon as I got in contact with MVS [military and veteran services] I felt like half of the process was done for me.”
Smith stated that the Veterans Center was particularly helpful covering the cost of tuition. Ashland has a yellow ribbon program that ensures students get the most out of their G.I. bill.
“It [the G.I. bill] will only cap out so much for private schools,” Smith said. “AU is a Yellow Ribbon program school so not only was part of my tuition covered, all of it was covered.”
Smith continued to express that the culture created by the Veterans Center is welcoming and encourages students to reach their full potential.
“You’re introduced to people you otherwise would not have run into,” Smith said. She added that meeting people from different military backgrounds at a small school has allowed her to feel like part of a family.
The Veterans Center students and staff share a strong passion for those who have served a military commitment. The organization does not only lead students in college, but directs them on a successful path beyond the classroom.
“You don’t always get to have a job where you can see lives being changed in front of you,” Spade said. “This is one of the rare opportunities you get to do just that.”