University students begin vaccination process

Submitted by: Scout Weber

Scout Weber with her Covid-19 vaccination card.

Katie Harrigan

As COVID-19 vaccines become more available to young adults across the state of Ohio, several Ashland University students have taken the initiative to begin reducing the spread.

AU Covid response coordinator, Elise Riggle said vaccines are necessary for getting back to normal.

“We have to trust the experts,” Riggle said. “People have been getting the vaccine since early winter and overall the response has been positive.”

Riggle expressed that the University has done a great job adjusting to the circumstances and providing online courses, but it is  important to have personal face-to-face connection. 

“My heart breaks for our students who are experiencing college in this environment,” Riggle said. “There are so many rules around safety that you start to miss out on the full experience”

Riggle said if more students become vaccinated, this can build immunity within the campus, begin the process of returning to normal classes and ultimately benefit the Ashland community.

Junior and musical theatre major, Sydney Genter said she is grateful for the opportunity to be vaccinated.

I felt like receiving the Covid vaccine was the best option for me because I wanted the peace of mind,” Genter said.  “My parents are older and I am about to become an aunt so it is important to me that I’m able to visit them without the stress of infecting them or vice versa.”

Genter added that students make up a large percentage of the Ashland population and they will be an important group toward helping reduce the spread of the virus.

“My advice would be that if there is another day when there are extra doses of the vaccine, to head over and get it,” Genter said. “It does not take too long and it is a great opportunity for us to make Ashland safer.”

Senior and political science major, Scout Weber felt it was a “moral obligation” to receive the vaccine in order to protect herself and others.

“I understand that this is what will keep me, my community and my family the healthiest. I was thrilled to get it…I believe this is the only way we will be able to return to campus in a normal way,” Weber said.

Weber expressed that some people may be apprehensive about getting vaccinated and should speak to a doctor before making a decision that is appropriate for their personal health.

“It’s completely normal to feel nervous about it,” Weber said. “Reach out to medical professionals if you are still unsure if it is right for you.”

Students ages 16 and up are eligible for the vaccine.

Those interested in getting vaccinated against COVID-19 can do so at University Hospitals Urgent Care Samaritan, located at  663 E. Main St. A shuttle is provided for those in need of transportation services.

Appointments are required and can be scheduled through www.signupgenius.comFor more information on vaccine eligibility and health services, please visit https://www.ashland.edu/covid-19 or contact [email protected].