‘2-for-1’ tuition relief aims to bring more students to campus

Newly announced scholarship funded by Board of Trustees goes to class of 2025

Eagle Eye Photography

Prospective students are led by a tour guide during a campus visit.

Paving the way for a new graduating class at Ashland University, several Board of Trustees members have funded a 2-for-1 tuition relief scholarship that offers first year, full-time students a financial break. 

Marc Pasteris, vice president and chief financial officer, expects an excess of around 200 students to benefit from this scholarship.

“It originated through conversations with President Campo and the Board of Trustees and the generous donations that came forward from the Trustees. They always look strategically in addition to the leadership team, so it percolated through those conversations. 

This scholarship can be used by incoming students to pay for the Spring semester of 2022, however, there are a few qualifications that have to be met. Students must be living on campus and have a good academic performance in their Fall semester (achieving a 2.0 minimum).

The Fall tuition bill has to be paid in total and students are required to accept all other financial assistance they are able to receive, both state and scholarship funds. 

“We are, as stated in the Ashland promise, an affordable institution and we always have been,” Pasteris said. “This is an initiative that the president and the board thought was appropriate at the time.”

The scholarship is not only aimed toward being a helpful resource for new students who may need a push to go to a university, but also as a resource for AU. It brings more students in, who otherwise would not have chosen the school and the school gains both enrollment numbers and tuition for the next three years.

“You’re trying to attract students to your university,” Pasteris said. “Through those efforts in sharing with prospective students the value of Ashland University, the quality of education that the students are going to receive and allowing them to see who we are and whether it’s the right fit for them, we hope that they’re attracted to [the institution] and they’ll become a student—a future eagle.”

The expected freshman class, as of now, is predicted to climb to around 500 students, according to Pasteris. This expected number surpasses Fall of 2020’s first-year, full-time student class size of 432.

In a press release, AU President Dr. Carlos Campo said, “Ashland University is dedicated to providing financial help for any individual who wants to invest in a college education but may not be able to enroll because of financial limitations. Our goal is to close the financial gap and, in honoring our promise to offer an affordable education to all students, ensure that those who want to attend Ashland have that opportunity to do so. If you want to go to Ashland University, we are committed to making it happen.”

While Ashland University is trying to make strides in funding the education of the students who will soon walk the halls of the academic buildings, other schools are taking measures to make sure that among the pandemic they are also getting students in the door.

Kent State University in NorthEast Ohio began a tuition freeze in the Fall 2018 semester for all students that were coming new to the university. This freeze promised KSU students that their tuition would never go up in their four years at the institution.

Ashland also began a tuition freeze, but they did not do so until Fall 2020. Almost two years earlier, Kent State had this initiative in place to get students in the door knowing that they would not be paying more as time went on. 

Another way that schools are competing to get Freshman to enroll is with a test optional enrollment. AU announced in the Fall 2020 semester that they were going to be test optional for the upcoming freshman class of Fall 2021 due to complications from the COVID-19 pandemic.

While this initiative was put in place by Ashland University, they are not alone. Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio also announced that they are test optional for the same purposes, as well as promising students total tuition transparency.

According to otterbein.edu, “Before you enroll, Otterbein University will let you know how much tuition will increase each of the four years of your degree.” 

This promise eliminates the element of surprise for students so that they know their tuition will rise rather than just seeing it as a surprise when their semester bill arrives in the mail.

As far as relief due to COVID-19, some schools are not limiting the aid to incoming freshmen, but to all of their students if they qualify for tuition relief.

Ohio University in Athens, Ohio is allowing students to fill out a form if their financial circumstances changed due to the pandemic. Students who lost a job, housing or had a significant change to their income no matter what stage of their education they are in are able to apply.

Due to the circumstances of COVID-19 and the ways that the pandemic has changed the course of higher education, Ashland, as well as other Ohio colleges and universities, are now finding ways to make sure their students, both present and future, will stick by their educational paths. 

While the 2-for-1 relief scholarship applies to only first year students, there are many other opportunities for returning students to gain financial support. The emergency fund is designed to help those who are struggling with income and school payments to get help paying for basic necessities. 

“There are also several endowed scholarships that are available,” Pasteris said. “Between our financial aid policy, depending on academic performance and need, there is also that option.”

The Gill Welcome Center sits on College Ave. with tour guides and admissions on the ready to greet a new incoming class. (Avaerie Fitzgerald)

A key factor in prospective students deciding which school they would like to attend is the affordability of the university tuition. By taking strides to make college more affordable, colleges everywhere are trying to gain student attention.

Affordability has become a focal point of Ashland University in the midst of the pandemic so that they are still able to have more students enrolling and so they can provide the college experience that they are promised when they are accepted.

“Our hope is that we can get some of this behind us so that we can allow students to come back to a face-to-face class. We’re excited about our students and how we can provide them with the best experience possible,” Pasteris said.