WRDL preparing for another successful Vinyl-thon

During+Vinyl-thon%2C+college+radio+stations+play+exclusively+vinyl+records+for+24+hours.+

Evan Laux

During Vinyl-thon, college radio stations play exclusively vinyl records for 24 hours.

Brayden Creveling, Reporter

Ashland University’s WRDL radio station will again be participating in Vinyl-Thon, beginning April 17 at midnight and ending at 11:59 p.m. on Apr. 18. 

Thirty-three stations will be participating this year, five of which are in Ohio.

Vinyl-Thon is a 24-hour event where college radio stations play exclusively vinyl records for a whole day. The event is hosted by The College Radio Day Organization, and is put on every spring.

WRDL was awarded a gold medal award from the organization three times during 2017, 2018 and 2019 for being able to play vinyl records 24 hours straight. 

Derek Wood, general manager of 88.9 WRDL, started Vinyl-Thon at AU in 2017. 

Wood thought the idea would “separate us from traditional radio” and be something that “hasn’t been done in this community.”

Wood said many students have an interest in playing vinyl records on WRDL and he saw this as an opportunity to get students involved. Wood admitted he was nervous starting it out, but is very happy with the success the station has had with the event.

Niko Scarlatos, sports director and host of Early Birds Word, said he was exploring new things such as a DJ shift and wanting to get involved when he stumbled across Vinyl-Thon. Instead of being a vinyl collector like Wood, Scarlatos said this is where he “learned everything about Vinyl.”

“I’ve learned so much about vinyl being in the studio during it” Scarlatos said. “Whether I was working with Derek or other guys in the studio at the same time as me. It’s really cool to learn the history of these older records and how they work.”

Scarlatos encourages freshmen or students who haven’t participated in Vinyl-Thon to get involved.

“This is a great way to get your voice on the air while also having a fun time” he said. “I think this is a good first step.”

Wood also emphasizes the importance of experience when talking about digital media students and journalism students getting involved.

“I just think it helps people explore the realms of possibilities when it comes to unique radio stations like WRDL that are non-commercial ” Wood said.

Students and alumni are encouraged to bring in their own vinyl records for the event.