Stress in the nest: how the eagle’s nest staff are pushing forward

Nicholas Stupka, Reporter

As the spring semester continues to move along, the Eagle’s Nest, one of Ashland University’s several dining locations, is pushing forward through the pandemic and labor shortage.

The Nest saw many changes last semester due to continuing conditions and plans to make even more. These changes include the removal of several menu items, changes in hours of both in-person ordering and Grubhub and problems with staffing as many employees were isolated due to COVID-19 exposure.

Frederick Geib, general manager of dining operations at Ashland University, commented on the effects of COVID-19 stating, “Before the academic year started, we knew we were going to be short staffed. So we made adjustments to try and streamline the menu as well as the number of production hours certain areas would be open.”

“Coming back to the second semester, we are now dealing with a large number of our staff being in isolation or quarantine causing us to close stations at the last minute,” Geib added.

Though the staff of the Nest is continuing to make adjustments during the pandemic, there is still a great deal of stress that goes into doing so.

“It has been extremely difficult and stressful for the managers and adult staff not knowing from day to day what staff would show up to work, who is in quarantine or isolation,” Geib explained. “We have a core group of adult staff that are extremely dedicated to the department. With that being said, staff can only keep this up for so long and at times it seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.”

However, it would seem that there is a light in the form of the staff, who continue to work and stay healthy through all the setbacks, shortages and isolations they experience.

“I am extremely proud and thankful for my staff that have stayed since the start of the academic year,” Geib remarked. “Even though they could have walked a block from here and received a higher pay, they stayed because they believe in our mission to the students and hope of a brighter future as it pertains to wages.”

Among the staff is Fangyi Wei, a first-year student who shares similar feelings with Geib.

“To help others at dining is a work of responsibility and dutiful glory,” Wei said. “It feels great to contribute your share; bringing your surroundings to a better condition and improving the reputation of your workplace.”

Wei also shares feelings of thankfulness toward his coworkers and employers as he stated, “I have ultimate gratitude toward the helpers who assisted on getting me the job and taught me the procedure of working.”

“I try hard to make Eagle’s Nest a more cozy and welcoming dining place for meal memories and for late comers that are behind our footsteps,” he concluded.