Plastic Musik brings unique sound to campus

Plastic Musik brought high energy and innovative sounds to Redwood last Friday.

By Emily Sedlak

It is likely that if you are a student here at Ashland then you have probably attended a few Campus Activity Board events in your spare time. Many of the events put on each semester may seem repetitive, whether the entertainment is a magician, a comedian or live music.

Although there is some truth to this notion, the event brought to campus this past Saturday, known as “Plastic Musik,” gave the students something new and unique to kick off the weekend.

“It was amazing! Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, myself included. I liked that it was different from all the usual events we have on campus,” junior Sarah Young said.

For those who had to miss out on the event, Plastic Musik is a performance group formed out of Las Vegas, Nevada who use traditional percussion techniques and all plastic instruments to recreate familiar melodies.

“It was so interesting and entertaining; weird, but still really cool. They could play a bunch of songs with just pipes. That takes talent!” sophomore Matt Illig said.

With the help of a plastic tube instrument known as a “Boomwhacker,” the group was able to produce recognizable melodies from The Black Eyed Peas to the Jackson 5.

The group also integrated choreography and audience participation to keep the show upbeat and enjoyable for everyone.

“I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to remember the rhythm of the music, which Boomwhackers to use, and the choreography,” sophomore Ana Reynolds said. “It just seems like it’d take forever to learn to play everything as quickly as they did and still have perfect timing switching positions and Boomwhackers.”

Even though there may be a few repetitions with some of the talent, CAB definitely knows how to add some spice to campus events. It is safe to say that Plastic Musik is one of the most unique events we have had come to AU in a while.