United Way wins with wing eating contest

Students competed to see who could eat the most wings in a fundraiser for United Way. From left: Bridgette Love, Malachi Ohara, Chris Dalbow, Chris Manthy, winner Matt Goldsmith, and Ryan Augustitus.

By Justine Ackerman

Convo was all abuzz with more than the usual amount of face-stuffing and laughing Feb. 22 as the United Way Wing Eating Contest kicked off at 6 p.m.

Six contestants signed up and the students received free United Way jerseys for competing. The entry fee was $30 per contestant, raising $180 for United Way.

Matt Goldsmith was the wing eating champion, eating 1.25 pounds of wings in five minutes, but in the end, it was all to make United Way the real winner.

Ashland University has become an advocate for United Way thanks to Kendal Johnson, Phil Wages and Rachel Heckathorn, who started the student campaign with the help of Becky Schaaf, director for the center for community service and leadership development, and Ev DeVall from United Way.

The wing eating contest was just the latest way that AU has helped United Way. Last semester, students did Skip-A-Meal, which entailed donating one of their swipes to help United Way. This effort helped raise over $1,000 for United Way, according to an interview with senior Kendal Johnson.

“Every year the faculty and staff participate in the ‘Pacesetter’ campaign for the United Way, along with a large number of area businesses,” Johnson said in an email, post interview of the wing eating contest. “The faculty and staff always raise a lot of money for the United Way, so this year we thought we would get the students involved.”

Signs are going to begin to appear over campus, encouraging students to text the word “Ashland” to the number 85944. This is yet another way that students can pitch in to help United Way raise money. Texting this number, and then sending a confirmation text of “Yes,” will donate five dollars to the United Way fund.

Johnson encourages students to continue to support and donate to United Way and says that their support is invaluable.

“Their participation in United Way fundraising events directly help the Ashland community and reflects positively on the university,” Johnson said. “I feel it is important for AU students to show their support in the Ashland community as many of us call this our home throughout our years in college.”