Student Spotlight: Eustathios strives not for one goal, but many

“It’s fun to communicate with people and get them to do what you want to do while also meeting them halfway with a common goal,” Eustathios said.

By Amanda Eakin

It is common for people to have one major talent that they take advantage of by incorporating it into their future careers. Brad Eustathios, however, can be considered a “jack of all trades” due to possessing not just one talent, but many.

The fact that Eustathios has changed his major every year at Ashland University indicates his vast array of interests and skills. Currently, he is a Journalism and Digital Media major, with a minor in Theater.

Eustathios transferred to AU his sophomore year, coming from the technology-based Stark State College. He majored in graphic design, but realized it was not his passion.

“I spent 16 hours a day in front of a computer one day and decided it was not for me,” Eustathios said. From his time at Stark State, however, he has learned some valuable skills, such as creating graphics and websites, which eventually came in handy for his time at AU.

Since transferring to Ashland, Eustathios has found a comfortable niche on campus and has made some meaningful friendships.

“Brad and I have been friends since we both came to Ashland University,” senior Cameron Estep said. “I think he’s one of the most hardworking people in the Arts and Communications department. He works to be the best he can even if it means giving up his free time.”

One of the main reasons Eustathios had such an easy transition to AU is because of his willingness to get involved with the campus.

Shortly after arriving on campus, Eustathios noticed the university was lacking a film club; but not for long. Eustathios stepped up and started his own group that aims to unite people and their love of film.

The small group Eustathios brought together definitely had issues to contend with, such as acquiring university support, though through this group Eustathios met the people who would eventually come to be a part of the in-progress, student-created sitcom, “Adjusting Focus.”

Eustathios credited his friend Jeff McNerney for suggesting that the basis of their sitcom center on a film club, which in a way mirrors the actual crew’s efforts as a struggling group. At the same time, Eustathios also acknowledges that the creation of “Adjusting Focus” was a collective effort.

“The idea was a culmination of everyone in the writers’ group,” Eustathios said.

The sitcom didn’t really take off until the summer of 2010, when Eustathios and sophomore Dan Griffin worked together to advance the production process.

Since that summer, Eustathios and his crew have been writing scripts and have collaborated in the process of creating a polished, finished product.

Eustathios is amazed at how such a small project has developed at the rate it has. Although it has been a lot of work, he enjoys the experience.

“It started just as an idea,” Eustathios said.

“We built it on a bunch of characters. Most of [the ‘Adjusting Focus’ writing team] act in it. It’s cool getting to hang out with these guys.”

Holistically, Eustathios is satisfied with where “Adjusting Focus” is going, especially because his team has created a sitcom out of limited resources and had “no path to follow,” according to Eustathios.

“We just try to work with what we got,” he said.

Since the film club is not recognized as an official group on campus, the money required for props come straight of the group’s pocket.

Out of all of his responsibilities as a key contributor to this student-run sitcom, Eustathios likes acting the most.

Eustathios isn’t new to the stage. In the past, he has been involved with community theater and has played Mr. Rochester in his high school’s adaptation of “Jane Eyre.” Although he has been in smaller roles, he relishes in his time onstage.

“I’ve always been one on stage rather than behind it,” Eustathios said.

At Ashland, Eustathios has recently been a part of Courtney Long’s senior project “On the Edge,” a play that confronts issues of depression and suicide. Eustathios’s role as one of the lead characters suffering from depression is vastly different from his role in “Adjusting Focus,” though he felt he managed to pull of both parts successfully.

Despite his love of acting, Eustathios enjoys directing as well. As the director of “Adjusting Focus” and a regular contributor to TV2, Eustathios has realized that he could see himself pursuing a similar career path.

Given Eustathios’s well-rounded background, it comes as no surprise that he has dabbled in radio broadcasting, as well.

Back in 2009, Eustathios became the music director for AU’s radio station WRDL. He was promoted to program director last semester and has been continuing to work on improving the radio station since.

“I got [the opportunity] to learn the ropes of audio and audio editing…I’ve updated the system from 1,000 songs to 3,000,” Eustathios said.

Additionally, Eustathios has given every song in the system a genre, resulting in a more “uniform” sound, according to Eustathios.

“I crafted it for about a month. Each hour is different,” Eustathios said. For example, from midnight to six in the morning, college alternative rock will be playing, which will shift to alternative rock the next hour, followed by classic rock. Essentially, every hour will feature a specific genre of music in order to cater to every listener’s musical preferences.

“I like working in the radio station,” Eustathios said. In fact, he enjoys his time at a radio station so much, he has further pursued his interests by acquiring an internship at a local radio station near his hometown.

“I got this internship at WDJQ in Alliance back at home for the past year,” Eustathios said. On describing his experience at WDJQ, Eustathios said: “It’s intern work. Filing, calling people to take their tickets…it’s still pretty fun.”

Although he is not entirely certain working in a radio station will be his lifetime career, he still can see himself enjoying the experience.

“I don’t have a focus…but for the time being, I think I’m going to work in radio stations,” Eustathios said. “Advertising is one of my biggest desires. I like cutting promos for radio, air time, editing video packages and things like that. It’s all easy work to me that I really enjoy.”

At the same time, Eustathios’s love of music and the radio station does not mean he will remain within that field of interest.

“One day maybe, I’ll do something with video,” Eustathios said.

“Ultimately, I’d like to do something with the Internet since it’s such a viable platform. Wherever the lawn dart follows. It’s just a matter of exploring different career paths. I don’t really want to stick to one thing. It’s much more adventurous.”

Once out of Ashland, Eustathios has plenty to look forward to.

He is getting married to Ashland alumnae Emily Homoelle in July and has the idea of moving out of Ohio as a possibility.

“I want to move out because I don’t think there’s much here in terms of media,” Eustathios said.

Currently, he believes he is most likely to move to California.

“It’s definitely the place to be,” Eustathios said.

“I’m sure one day we’re going to throw our things into a big van and drive out there.”

Needless to say, unlike most graduating seniors, Eustathios is not concerned about mapping out his future to the last detail.

“Part of the adventure is not knowing what’s going to happen, but making it work anyway,” Eustathios said.

Estep is one of many who believe Eustathios will go far with his ambition.

“With Brad, there is no telling what he will do, but he could do anything,” Estep said.

“He is of high intellect and uses his brain. I could see him working in the comedy world or doing screenwriting.”

Reflecting on his time at AU, Eustathios summed it up with good-natured candor: “It’s been one hell of a train ride.”