SpringFest provides fun before finals

By Richard Quick

Tornado warnings, never-ending rain, fleeting moments of sunshine, looming finals and impending graduation can only mean one thing: spring.

Spring has officially reared its often-indecisive head here at Ashland University and along with this season comes SpringFest.

SpringFest is the annual event in which AU students get to let loose and have some fun before the inevitable crunch time of finals week.

This year’s SpringFest has events going from Thursday night until Saturday night.

The kickoff event for this year will be a showing of No Strings Attached, a romantic comedy film starring Academy Award winner Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher at 9:30 p.m. on the Quad.

On Friday AU is hosting the comedy duo Frangela in Redwood at 9p.m.

Frangela has appeared on VH1’s Best Week Ever and Fox News’ Red Eye.

After the comedians, SpringFest will continue on Saturday at 2 p.m. and there are a number of events going on, including the ADPi Pie a Pi, International Club French Cricket, Phi Psi Dunk Tank, the DZ Turtle Tug and Isaiah Project Angry Birds.

SpringFest will also feature live music from With The Punches, CrashBoomBang and Down With Webster.

Throughout the day there will be an assortment of other activities and attractions including: an oxygen bar, Wacky Trikes, two giant slides, an obstacle course, a homerun derby, a QB blitz, henna tattooing, hair wrapping, sand art, spin art frisbees, Maui Wowi Smoothies and even a Robo Surf mechanical surfboard.

To cap off the events of the day, there will be a Student Dining picnic from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Academic Corridor.

The menu will include items such as grilled margarita chicken quarters, grilled mahi mahi with fruit salsa, Cuban-style subs, grilled vegetables, shiitake mushrooms, coconut rice, fresh-made lime tossed tortilla chips, made-to-order guacamole, fresh pico de gallo and a beach-inspired dessert station.

With the plethora of events on hand, students will have a lot of options and activities to choose from.

“Hopefully SpringFest will give everyone a chance to relax and chill before finals,” junior Elliot Rawson said.

“It would be even better if the weather would hold out and give us a few not so rainy days.”

In the event of rain, the movie on the quad will be held in Redwood, Saturday’s activities will be moved to Kates Gymnasium and the Student Dining picnic will be moved to Convo.