Substitute choir director continues tradition of excellence

By Richard Quick

Last semester, after a faculty search and a series of interviews for a one-semester substitute as Ashland University choir director in place of the usual director, Dr. Rowland Blackley, Michael Seredick was chosen by the Department of Music.

“Mr. Seredick, like Dr. Blackley, is committed to choral excellence, and has taken his one-semester position very seriously,” Stephanie Sikora, director of the university’s Women’s Chorus, said.

Student reactions to Seredick have been very positive thus far.

“Mr. Seredick has been a fantastic director,” University Choir member Benjamin Black said. “He is passionate about music, life, being excellent, and so many other things! I’m trying to learn how I can be as passionate as he is.”

Black enjoys performing for Seredick and wants him to stay longer than one semester.

“I love having him here,” Black said. “I’ll be sad to see him go. I wish he could stay, I think it would be awesome to have him back as a director.”

The Ashland University Choir, Chamber Singers, and Women’s Chorus held their first of two spring choral concerts March 27. Sikora described the concert as an afternoon of uplifting singing by all the choirs involved.

Sikora was pleased with the years of choral experience Seredick brought to the table and she was happy that the choir had the chance to see music directed from a different perspective than what they had been used to.

The Department of Music is holding its second spring choral concert Wednesday, April 27, at 7:30 p.m. in the Jack and Deb Miller Chapel.