What we really pay for in Convo

By Teresa Williams

While enjoying a meal at convo, a student picks up his or her tray from the table, when suddenly a glass crashes onto the floor. Shards of glass scatter across the cafeteria with a sharp clinking sound.

Meanwhile, the student experiences embarrassment as other individuals eating meals turn their heads towards the commotion. Their heart begins to race as cafeteria workers approach the scene with supplies to clean up the fragments of glass. They may wonder how much this accident will cost.

Although this scenario occurs occasionally at Convo, many students wonder what happens when they do break a glass while eating a meal. In addition to shattering glasses, they also may damage silverware, plates and even a ceiling tile.

Rumors have swirled around the school that students must pay a fine for these damages. General manager of dining operations Frank Geib wants to assure the students that they will not be directly paying a penalty for any broken dinnerware or ceiling tiles.

He notes that additional money for these instances is already accounted for in the student’s meal plan. Although accidents involving damaging dinnerware at convo may vary in number from year to year, the meal plan charges remain unaffected by these issues.