Coburn Gallery exhibiting artwork from nine faculty members

By Teresa Williams

Artwork created by Ashland University faculty members will be on display at the Faculty Art Exhibition in the Coburn Gallery, located in the Center for the Arts.

Nine faculty members from the art department, ranging from full-time to adjunct professors, will have their work in the exhibition.

These individuals include George Kocar, Priscilla Roggenkamp, Dan McDonald, Cynthia Petry, Charles Caldemeyer, Jessica Maloney, Keith McMahon, Larry Schiemann and Keith Dull. Overall, a total of 42 works are featured at this year’s exhibit.

The art exhibition showcases art with a multitude of different designs and styles. In addition, the artists use an array of mediums to create their work. The faculty members were free to select the style and medium of their own pieces.

As a result, many preferred to develop artwork based on their specialty in art or on an experiment with new ideas. For example, artwork ranges from fiber arts and installation art to printmaking. Other types of pieces may be paintings or digital art. In addition, ceramics and sculptures serve as other methods that numerous artists employ to produce their work for the show.

“My works are created out of various fiber forms,” Priscilla Roggenkamp said. “I consider this body of work like a sampler, where one tries out different methods before deciding on the ones to pursue.”

The artwork will be showcased in The Coburn Gallery until Feb. 10. On Monday through Friday, the hours for the Coburn Gallery are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. During Saturdays and Sundays, the hours range from 12 – 4 p.m.

Thursday, Jan. 12, the art department held a free reception lasting from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. to mark the first day of the display. Members of the community were invited to attend this event.

One advantage of the exhibit is the opportunity for professors to display their work.

“The annual art department faculty exhibition represents part of our faculty research for the year,” said the director of the Coburn Gallery, Cynthia Petry.

The Faculty Art Exhibition is beneficial not only to professors but also to students and members of the community as well.

Keith Dull will have 13 etchings in the exhibition.

“In addition to having a nice forum for my latest work, the faculty exhibition is an excellent teaching tool for my students,” Dull said. “It is an opportunity for students to see me execute the techniques I have taught them in the classroom, and it is also important for the students to see their professors as working professionals.”

“First of all, it’s a wonderful opportunity for all of us to show our work,” Roggenkamp added.

“It allows us as art professors to focus on new work/research for our work.”

The exhibition also allows for professors to set an example for students.

“As far as the students go, it is critical that we set a model as working artists for our students to see.”

“We share the same excitement and energy when making work as well as the disappointment and insecurities caused by putting oneself out there for the world to see,” Roggenkamp said.