Pepsi makes a splash

By Jamie Neal

A “refreshing” change came to Ashland University’s beverage selection as the main and satellite campuses switched from Coca-Cola to Pepsi products over winter break.

Ashland has had a long-standing relationship with Coke for a little over twenty years.

When the Coke contract expired, however, Pepsi had the opportunity to propose a contract full of benefits for the University and Ashland community.

Matthew Portner, director of auxiliary services, explained that the University is just as affected by a poor economy as the rest of the country, so it is important that he does everything he can to increase services while decreasing cost. And Pepsi offered that.

Students will notice brand new vending machines not only on the main campus but also at the seminary, Med Central and Columbus locations.

Pepsi is also providing the University with scoreboard advertising, which contributes to the Sustainability Committee with a Sustainability Grant as well as four $500 scholarships to purchase books in the AU Bookstore.

Even at the local Wal-Mart, one will notice an AU Pepsi display at the entrance. Pepsi will continue to do local advertising like this throughout Ashland.

Freshman Kortnie Brown, one among many, “thought it was frickin’ awesome!”

Pepsi will also be extending its advertising hand into The Collegian ads in addition to offering samples and promos at the Ashland University Food Show Feb. 9.

Pepsi has already provided two concession stand trailers for athletics and took the campus from six fountain flavor options to 10 in Convo and eight in the Eagles’ Nest.

“These machines are the same size as the old Coke machines, just with more selection,” Portner said.

Portner also pointed out that switching to Pepsi provides the campus with two major flavors extremely popular with the University’s age demographic: Mountain Dew and Gatorade.

“More people prefer Coke products but Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper and Gatorade are strong players in the industry,” senior Kyle Suerth said.

A resulting benefit from the switch that will affect the campus in an exciting way is Pepsi has a Mansfield distribution center.

Unlike the nearest Coke distribution center that resides in Columbus, the Pepsi center will be able to immediately make repairs on vending machines or replace stock since it is so close to campus.

In fact, the Pepsi system has already been tested; Portner described an unfortunate under-stocking for the Schar Café and Pepsi delivered the product the same day.

“Some popular products may not be a part of the Eagles’ Nest any longer,” Eagles’ Nest supervisor Sherry Kidd said, “but we are trying very hard to get something very similar at the Eagles’ Nest or maybe even new drinks that the students will like better.”

Some products staying in the Nest for now include Arnold Palmer.

Students like sophomore Adana Siefert “[are] only upset that they no longer have Full Throttle.”

Senior Brittany Hartman, a pop avoider, assumed the switch would not affect her “until I noticed that we no longer carry V8.”

Other students, like junior Bret Cowden, find themselves unaffected by the switch: “Though I like Coke better, I try not to drink pop in general. The Pepsi brand tea isn’t very good.”

The transition from Coke to Pepsi took two-and-a-half to three weeks and included about 80 machines, with the bulk of the time ensuring that the ID cards worked properly.

“If you experience a problem with a Pepsi machine, let Auxiliary Services know so the problem can be addressed,” Portner said.

Although there are some die-hard Coke fans out there, Pepsi is offering a lot not only to the University, but also to the Ashland Community.

Portner is “thrilled for the partnership [with Pepsi]. It’s never easy to change but the benefits to students and the community is exciting.”