Clothing drive inspired by Ralston talk

By Kate Brickner

Carl Ralston, the founder of Remember Nhu, spoke a few weeks ago about his organization. R-Nhu is a Christian organization that seeks to protect children from the sex trade industry in third world countries. It has 12 children’s homes operating in six countries and aims to meet the physical, educational, emotional and spiritual needs of vulnerable children. At Ralson’s talk in the packed auditorium, one AU group sat inspired to help take up his cause.

Sue Dickson and her religion class were so touched by the Christian example set by Ralston and his team that they began a clothing drive.

During the “Symposium Against Global Indifference,” Ralston was invited to speak to Dickson’s Christian Formation class.

“His presentation generated intense interest in the issue of trafficked children and inspired the class to take action,” Dickson said.

There was no lack of motivation when it came to Professor Dickson and her class.

“The students in Religion 214: Christian Formation, were appalled and inspired by Carl Ralston’s stories of the children in the Remember Nhu homes. Some of the students have been involved in the human trafficking awareness group on campus and were eager to get involved with the ‘Remember Nhu’ project.”

Indeed the story of Nhu pulled heartstrings. A Thai girl who had converted to Christianity at the age of nine, Nhu was sold to a bidder just three years later by her grandmother who needed to put food on the table and was out of work.

Nhu was sold to the man twice and spent her days in misery, agony, hunger and sleep deprivation. However, Nhu convinced her grandmother to use some of the money she had received from her bidder to go to vocational school to become a beautician.

Ralston, a successful businessman, had heard about her on a mission trip and was told that she was missing. Ralston ultimately made six trips to Thailand to search for Nhu, whose story had touched his heart in 2003. His courage inspired this particular AU class to do something as well.

“During the class following Mr. Ralston’s visit, the students brainstormed about ways in which they might ‘take action.’ This discussion led to many ideas, ongoing contacts with Mr. Ralston, and ultimately the decision to hold a clothing drive on campus for the children,” Dickson said.

The incredible story the class had heard about in ‘Remember Nhu’ had made this an extremely meaningful project for all of them.

“No doubt there are many worthy organizations with which we could have decided to work. However, since we had hosted Mr. Ralston on campus, and in the Religion 214 class, the students wanted to work specifically with his organization,” Dickson said. “The children who live in the Remember Nhu homes often arrive at the homes with only the clothes they are wearing. The idea of helping these children begin a new life intrigued the students.”

The question arises why the AU religion class decided to initiate a clothing drive rather than simply send money. Although the class “considered sending money for the organization to purchase clothes on site,” it was Mr. Ralston who suggested that new or gently used clothing from the United States would be better quality clothing than they could find near the safe homes themselves.

“Also,” Dickson added, “the AU students wanted to connect to the children in the Remember Nhu homes in a more personal way than by sending a check. Knowing that many students have younger siblings or other family members who regularly give clothes away, and knowing that Mr. Ralston could carry the clothes back to Thailand with him when he returns this June, motivated the class to initiate the clothing drive for Remember Nhu.”

The personalization of the project now extends past the organization itself and straight to the R-Nhu kids.

“They plan to include letters and photographs with the boxes of clothes so that they can introduce themselves to the Remember Nhu children and let the children know who sent the clothes. Perhaps some long-term friendships will be born,” Dickson said.

The drive ended March 21, but if anyone would still like to contribute they can email Dickson.

Even if a student or faculty member wishes to begin another service project, the spirit, according to Dickson, remains the same.

“Giving in general—of time, energy, resources, and money—is an important part of global citizenship, personal spiritual health, community identity, and Christian formation.”