Career Services sponsoring fall career fair

By Dan Griffin

The easiest way to be memorable is to tell an interesting story about yourself. That’s Andrew Farver’s biggest suggestion for the upcoming fall career fair sponsored by the Career Services Center.

Andrew Farver, university relations and college recruiting specialist, will be attending the event representing Westfield Insurance.

The CSC is sponsoring two career fairs this year for both fall and spring semesters. The fall career fair was added to attract employers who recruit before the holiday season.

It will take place on Nov. 7 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Upper Convo.

Karen Hagans, the director of career services, says that the fall career fair will give students a new advantage they didn’t have last year.

“We know that some employers are done hiring for May in December,” she said. “We feel as though students have a better chance at landing an internship or job if there are two different events.”

While the career fair might seem only for upperclassmen, freshmen and sophomores are highly encouraged to attend as well.

Kayla Smith, administrative assistant for the CSC, believes that freshmen who attend the fair are a lot more prepared for graduation than freshmen who do not.

“Even freshmen should come to the fair, even if they think their major doesn’t apply,” she said. “It’s good networking and practice. Wouldn’t you rather have a learning experience when it’s not exactly crucial for you to get a job at that moment?”

A lot of students choose not to attend the fair because of the preparation involved. Students are encouraged to dress professionally, bring copies of their resume and research the organizations they are most interested in prior to attending.

Hagans believes that the extra preparation is definitely worth the time.

“Look at the time, effort and money students put into their education,” she said. “Students need to take advantage of every opportunity and capitalize on getting a job or internship.”

Farver says that for most organizations, career fairs are very important for recruiting new employees.

“A career fair gives us an initial look at a potential candidate,” he said. “It’s all about the face-to-face interaction. We get to shake your hand and talk in a very relaxed setting.”

Farver said he is always impressed with the students who have taken the time to research Westfield.

“We look to see if they’ve done research on our company,” he said. “We go beyond the GPA. If a student is working and balancing their college career… that’s something we look for in students.”

Farver also encourages students to be prepared to talk about themselves.

Those who tell interesting stories are often the most memorable.

“Don’t be afraid to sell yourself,” he said. “Be prepared with a few stories behind your resume. I think that’s my biggest recommendation because we can already see what’s on paper.”

All of the attending organizations can be found by searching “Career Fair” on the AU website.