Iron Toys a hit: Music department kicks off semester right

Hallie Carrino

On Monday, the Ashland University Music Department kicked off its semester of performances by presenting Iron Toys.

The performance was held in the Elizabeth Pastor Recital Hall. It was free and open to the public.

A four person woodwind ensemble, Iron Toys was established in 2004 by AU Music Department Chair, Dr. Thomas Reed.  The members also include Howie Smith, Rich Shanklin and George Shernit.

Each individual provides an extensive resume of experience in playing, teaching, as well as working in the music business. The group performs an eclectic variety of both jazz and classical pieces.

Iron Toys prides itself in their ability to utilize multiple instruments, sometimes up to twenty, in any given performance.

The performance included ten pieces some of which included multiple movements.

The performance had great reviews from both students and community members who attended. Paige Arthur, a sophomore music student raved about the performance.

“I love it,” she said. “It is not your typical classical concert because the music is both exciting and energetic.

“As a student, it is awesome to see who the performers have worked with and what all they have accomplished and experienced.”

Many community members of the city of Ashland also attended the performance.

One attendee, Marjorie Poorman, and her husband frequently attend performances put on by AU’s Music Department. Words that Poorman used to describe the performance included “phenomenal” and “entertaining,” further saying that it was great to see such “wonderful talent.”

This semester the Music Department will be providing many more opportunities to listen to the musical talents of Ashland’s faculty, staff, and community. Many of these performances are free and all are open to the public. For more information on the Ashland University Department of Music semester performances see their schedule at http://www1.ashland.edu/cas/departments/music.