Students frozen out of classes at AU

Teresa Williams

Facing below zero temperatures this week, Ashland University students have found numerous ways of surviving the cold winter conditions.

With the cancellation of classes, many individuals remained indoors as much as possible, watching movies, playing video games, working on homework or spending time with friends in the dorms.

“I’m a busy person, but I don’t want to go outside when it’s dangerously cold,” senior Bryce Clemons said. “I’ve changed my coat and considered putting on coveralls.” 

He lives in one of the College Avenue apartments and indicated it has been colder in his room, but the temperature has been adequate. Living in the apartments, he drives to class and said a challenge of the cold weather is leaving with enough time before class begins , with the possibility of his car not starting.  

Driving presents other challenges as well in terms of the potential for students to receive a ticket from Safety Services if they park in a lot that is not assigned to them during the day.  

Some students would rather drive than walk in the cold, but do not want to risk receiving a parking ticket.

“With the parking policy, I don’t want to walk to class to class, but if I drive, I’ll get a ticket,” senior Spencer O’Rourke said.

He said that students should drive if possible, which will prevent them from being out in the cold for longer than necessary.

Students that opt out of driving or do not have a car on campus have been implementing several strategies for staying warm while walking around on the way to classes, Convo or the Eagles Nest.  Many individuals wear mittens, hats, scarves, gloves, sweatshirts and traded their thinner coats for thick winter jackets so they can shield themselves from the bitter temperatures.

“The biggest challenge is protecting your face,” sophomore Matt Erickson said. “I’ve been layering up.”

He also has a special ski mask that he wears which blocks the wind from his face.

Junior Amanda Stoner offered another helpful tip for walking around campus.  She sometimes buys the $1 Hot Hands hand warmers from Walmart to hold or put in her gloves.

Stoner said she lives in Kem, which makes it easier walking to Convo for meals than if she were living on the other side of campus.

Other students eat in their rooms rather than going out for dinner and lunch at Convo or the Eagles Nest.

“I usually grab mini pizzas from the Nest and cook them at the house,” O’Rourke said. “It’s too cold to go out and eat.”

While many stayed indoors, some individuals continued with their daily routines despite the cold temperatures.

Senior James Meder said he worked out at the Rec Center earlier in the day. 

“We’ve just been cranking the heat in our room,” he said.

Overall, students were thankful that the university cancelled classes on Tuesday so they could stay inside rather than braving the bitter cold.

“The snow day was a good choice,” O’Rourke said.