Budget cuts may start hurting academics

Zack Lemon

Much of the discussion about upcoming changes to Ashland University has been in regards to the financial health and transitions among the administration. With this in mind, many faculty members have expressed concerns about how these issues will affect the academic excellence of Ashland University.

According to Ashland University’s identity statement, the school is a comprehensive university which promotes innovative liberal arts. 

For William Vaughan, chair of the Philosophy department and the Core director, the two concepts can work well together.

“When you come to AU,” he said, “you aren’t just a nurse, just a teacher. You are a liberally educated nurse, a liberally educated teacher…this means thinking with and against your professional training.”

Vaughan defined a liberal education as “an enterprise whose purpose is the development of the wise person.” 

He also emphasized no viewpoint can be exempt from criticism to have liberally educated students leave Ashland University.

These goals were echoed by Chris Burkett, an associate professor of Political Science.

“What makes us excellent I think is inherent in our mission,” he said, “which says we are trying to create good individuals who are not just capable of working well, but living well. Not just being good workers but being good citizens, good human beings.”

Burkett believes the University’s current situation is an outstanding opportunity to recommit to this mission.

“I think we have a tradition of doing that well,” he said, “and I think we can recommit ourselves to doing that well and that means being open to student feedback on things the students after all are paying for a good quality education and they should get every penny’s worth.”

The financial situation has inevitably put stress on the university across the board, and its academics are not exempt. 

Vaughan said that there are certainly economic pressures on the University, but these problems are being constantly addressed.

Dan McDonald, chair of the Art department, the financial situation is beginning to impact students through the professors.

“The reality of the budget situation is such that some of these things need to happen. We just have to try to soften the blow as best we can for students,” he said.

McDonald cites fewer sections and fewer adjuncts as moves that are impacting students.

“You have faculty members now that would have given a lot more free time and when they’ve been cut down to the bone…that will inevitably bleed into students,” he said. 

In his department, he saw 11 sections usually taught by adjuncts cut to six. 

“Some were taught by full-time faculty but we did lose some courses and we will lose more in the coming semester,” he said.

The courses adopted by full-time faculty often have professors out of place. 

McDonald said he may teach an art history class next semester. Although he feels confident he can teach it, he admits it is far from his expertise.

“I can fake it to the point where students will still learn what they need to learn…but its still not right,” he said.

Even with the current tough times, there is some optimism going forward that Ashland University can recommit to what it does best.       

“The University has a tremendous opportunity to improve what it does, to get better at what it does, to recommit itself to the mission of the university, the founding mission of the university,” he said, “We have a very bright future if people are willing to rededicate themselves to what we do best.”