New tagline features unique student experiences

Teresa Williams

At the start of the school year, Ashland University launched their new tagline of “Where extraordinary happens on ordinary days” to more closely reflect the value that AU provides for students. 

The idea for the new tagline originated during a meeting last school year involving a discussion regarding the factors that differentiate AU from other schools.  One comment that arose from this meeting emphasized the great accomplishments of many AU students during their time on campus.  For example, individuals may have experienced success in athletics, academics, theatre, or a campus organization.  

They could also have gained a new perspective studying abroad or obtained a highly regarded job or internship.  For example, two journalism majors obtained jobs at ESPN and a TV station in Wisconsin.  

During the process of developing the new campaign, the university looked through press releases and documented the notable accomplishments of students.  

They developed a list that was seven to eight pages long of student achievements.  

With these ideas in mind, the university created the tagline to showcase the many talents and opportunities that Ashland offers students with diverse interests. 

The university reviews the communication and marketing plan each year and decided to incorporate the new tagline for this year’s plan.  

Last year, the university’s campaign focused on the theme of “What will your journey be?” After reviewing this campaign, they decided that the new tagline will help show students what can be accomplished by attending AU.

Scott Van Loo, vice president for enrollment management and marketing, described the reasoning behind the changes. 

“We wanted more of a direct stance of the experience at Ashland,” Van Loo said.  

In implementing new ideas, they strive for developing a cohesive and unified marketing message.  

As a result, the phrase “Where extraordinary happens on ordinary days” will begin appearing on more marketing materials across many facets of campus in the coming months including documents for admissions and other brochures.  

In addition, the tagline will be featured on the AU billboards throughout the surrounding areas in the future. 

The tagline is also prominently displayed on the AU website homepage and a separate page was created on the website that describes the highlights and unique aspects of the university that support this tagline.  For example, the page lists the “extraordinary value” that students have received, such as obtaining jobs with Under Armour and the Cleveland Cavaliers.  

Although implementing this tagline, it will not replace the concept of “Accent on the Individual” that many people associate with Ashland.  

The goal of the new tagline is to help compliment and show how Ashland remains committed to the “Accent on the Individual” through the opportunities for “extraordinary” achievements.