Get to know the Director of Student Conduct and Diversity at Ashland University

Kate Lentz

His dream as a child was to be a doctor. Now, as a faculty member of Ashland University,  Jonathan Locust Jr., the director of Student Conduct and Diversity and Title IX, is working very hard to become a doctor, but not the medical kind.

“I am getting my Ph. D. right now at University of Toledo in Education Theory/Social Foundations,” said Locust.

This journey didn’t begin like you would have thought. Locust started out as a student at Ashland, only completing an Associate’s Degree. He then continued into the University of Cincinnati for their pharmacy program but graduated with a Bachelor’s in Communications degree. Following this, he received his Master’s Degree from Capital University in Higher Education-Administration and Leadership.

“I started off in sales, did very well, but felt like I wasn’t doing enough to help other people so I decided to get into education.” Locust said. 

His strong personality is far more acceptable for an older audience than middle school-aged children. Locust first oversaw Remington College’s high school admissions program, which helped high school students get into college.

Following this, he received a call about an open director of multicultural student services and student conduct at AU. 

“I figured I’d apply because I used to be the minority student services intern here,” Locust said.

As a former student of AU, Locust knew that if he received this position, there were things he wanted to change. As a person of a different race, he didn’t feel there were enough resources for him as an African-American male.

Locust’s current role as the director of diversity focuses on recruiting and retaining individuals of color, and institutionalizing a level of comfort between those among different socio-economic classes, sexual status, or race, etc. 

With being brought into the diversity role, it was also an obligation that he maintained the campus’ student conduct. 

“When I got here, there was a stigma that the person had to be, I guess the person had to be a jerk,” Locust said. “The director of student conduct had to be a jerk, someone with no personality and that people are afraid of.” 

However, combining both of his positions, someone that works to make all individuals feel equal and welcome and someone who monitors student violations with the university, Locust knew that the stigma had to change.

“What I tried to do is that whenever someone goes through the conduct process, for one, it’s a learning experience but two, its not because I looked to get someone in trouble,” said Locust. “I’m a very busy person. I don’t look for work, work tends to find me.”

After all is said and done, Locust works to build positive relationships with students regardless of the situation that they’ve been involved in with him.

Locust stresses staying connected with students after conduct processes have ended.

“Even though you might mess up one time, you can still come back and talk, tell me about your grades, tell me what you’re doing,” said Locust. “It doesn’t have to be a bad relationship after you leave my office.”

With this position, Locust is able to see how students develop through their majors and extra curriculars on the diversity aspect, and seeing their ability to be geniuses if students were to apply themselves properly from the student conduct aspect. 

Locust has an intern during each semester. Last semester, his intern was Gaby Vitel. She is now a senior who has been involved with Locust since her freshman year as part of the Pathways program. 

“I have worked for Jonathan since my freshman year,” Vitel said. “He was my freshman year mentor through Pathways (freshman orientation program), we met and I was assigned small tasks, about five hours a week, relating to diversity.” 

This past year has encouraged her to apply for the diversity internship position and she will continue to work with Locust for the next school year. 

Vitel said that Locust is a great outlet for any student, whether its student conduct or diversity related, or not.

“He is so laid back and provides such great advice for everything, from my personal life, to educational issues, to even Greek Life because he was involved in Greek Life,” said Vitel. 

“As a boss, he always keeps me on task and makes sure I have done what I needed to.”

For incoming students, Vitel says to use Locust as a resource. 

“He is always meeting with students and is meeting with students all the time about many different topics,” she said. “He just wants the best for students.”