Ashland University’s WRDL radio station to host seventh annual Vinylthon  

For 48 hours the station will play nothing by vinyl record music 
Submitted by 88.9 WRDL
The official logo for Vinylthon 2024.

Vinyl records were once considered a music form of the past. Today’s artists and music lovers are proving that this is no longer the case.  

All seemed lost within the vinyl industry with the introduction of CDs and digital downloads taking over music platforms as of late, but vinyl has begun to return as a popular art form and new generations have come to love the comforting nature of record players.  

Beginning at midnight on Saturday April 20 and running through Sunday evening at 11:59 p.m. AU’s WRDL radio station will host Vinylthon: an annual celebration of vinyl recorded music.  

Starting on Saturday the radio station will play an array of hand-picked songs coming exclusively from vinyl records.  

Vinylthon, which coincides with national record store day – a nationally celebrated day within the radio industry.  

Derek Wood, the general manager of the 88.9 FM WRDL radio station, introduced Vinylthon to station in 2017 during his senior year of his undergraduate degree, 

“The event is designed to celebrate the unique format of vinyl records and specifically support college radio stations that are unique in their own right.” Wood said.  

The radio station wasn’t prepared to host the event when it began in 2016, but Wood made it his mission to bring the event to AU.  

“I learned about Vinylthon through the College Radio Foundation,” Wood said. “Getting Ashland involved with Vinylthon was my way of giving back to WRDL.” 

Throughout the 48-hour celebration of Vinylthon, a variety of students, faculty, alumni and friends of the station come in and play their own selections of vinyl music.  

Jesse Baker, a junior at AU has participated in Vinylthon the past two years and looks forward to sharing another collection of vinyl this year. 

“I’ve been into music ever since I was a kid,” Baker said. “Now I’m really into the production side of things. This has expanded my interests to include vinyl.” 

Those who cover shifts during the 48-hour event can select their own tracks and records to play to show off their own music tastes. This is something that Baker enjoys about the event. 

“I try to bring on my own taste of music. I am more of a hard rock and metal person so the last couple of years I’ve brought on stuff like Fall Out Boy, Slip Knots and Twenty One Pilots. I also have played other stuff like Queen and The Greatest Showman soundtrack.” 

Vinylthon has brought together friends and members of the Journalism and Digital Media program alike.  

David McCoy, the department chair of JDM, enjoys his time in the studio during Vinylthon with his daughter Cassie.  

“My daughter started getting into buying records, some of the newer stuff that I wasn’t familiar with.” McCoy said. “So, I said, ‘Hey Cass, do you want to go on with me?’ And ever since she and I have always done a Saturday shift.”  

Vinylthon can be heard over the air at 88.9 WRDL FM in ten Ohio counties or streamed on any device at wrdlfm.com.  

If you are interested in submitting a song request to be played during Vinylthon you can do so on WRDL’s social medias, website, or by calling the station directly at 419-207-4889.