Ashbrook Scholars on Election Night

Ashbrook Scholars spend their election night discussing politics and the upcoming results of the election

“Ashbrook is having a watch party for students of all political affiliations to get together and see how the outcomes unveil.”

— Adrianne Silva

Elections and voting are especially important for Ashbrook Scholars, some have worked out in the field helping candidates campaign. Election night is the culmination of a long election season.

Senior Ashbrook Scholar Adrianne Silva, will be attending the Ashbrook Programs watch party in the Dwight Schar College of Education.

“On Election night, I try to keep up with the polls by viewing them on news websites as well as following candidates’ update feeds, such as on twitter and facebook,” she said. “Ashbrook is having a watch party for students of all political affiliations to get together and see how the outcomes unveil.”

The program encourages students to seek out their own political views, especially during important local elections such as this tonight.

Tyler Rice, senior scholar, said “Local elections are a must. That’s where our democracy starts. I think our local elections are more important than the larger federal election. I think it’s more important to know about local issues since they affect us more. The local level is also more accessible.”

Elections are important for all students, not just those in the program. Regardless of political affiliation, scholars encourage the student body to vote to make a difference.

Junior Ashbrook Scholar, Anne Casey, stated “I do think it is important to vote in local elections. Elections at every level are a chance to participate politically and to voice your opinion, so students should learn about the candidates and vote for the people they think will best serve the country. It’s okay to vote one way for one election and then change your mind for the next election. It’s not bad at all to change your opinion on an issue after learning more about it.”