Student Senate tackles budget questions

Taken from @austudentsenate

Senators sworn into their positions and discuss the questions asked by senators about the budget deficit.

Ashland University Student Senate asked questions concerning the budget deficit, prompting administration for a list to be compiled with responses of the administration.

This list has the potential to be published on the university’s website.

Many student senators raised questions about the different concerns ranging from athletic scholarships to the positions that were laid off to making donors aware of the budget deficit affecting campus.

Noah Harshbarger, sophomore class vice president, said, “Today, a lot of the talk on the [track and field] team was a lot of concern over athletic scholarships; they have heard a lot of it is potentially up in the air. What will happen to athletic scholarships?”

The question was addressed later that many of the athletic scholarships are covered by donors and alumni.

Student Senate Advisor Dr. Robert Pool noted the concerns addressed, including the restructuring across campus and the dropping of approximately 20 faculty and staff positions.

Another question raised involved the departments affected by the restructuring and at this time, it continues to be a matter of privacy.

Mark Biltz, senior class president, raised the possible suggestion of providing what department the position was a part of.

Although specifications are being finalized, Pool expressed that student programs are “prioritized,” as the university remains “financially strong.”

In addition to the budget deficit the university is facing, Pool announced the university’s transition from Google Drive to Microsoft Office.

“[Microsoft] is more secure, better longevity and more compatible with other programs,” he said.

Pool added that if students have questions about the transition, they can reach out to Student Senate for answers.

Zack Scher has officially replaced Ann Torkelson, as the officer of finance and facilities.

Scher also announced that the Cobe Cafe located in Dauch will be officially closed for the rest of the semester, but Schar Cafe will continue to remain open for the remainder of the semester.

Cece Fonseca was officially sworn into the student senate and will take the position of the junior class vice president.

Student Senate continues to have unfilled positions, including representatives for various residence halls, and athletic and international affairs.

AU Student Senate meets every Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. in the Hawkins-Conard Student Center conference rooms, and is open to everyone.