International Students finding loophole around college admissions

John F. Kennedy International Airport

Ashland University’s admissions process is simple, with this being said international students can easily apply and get their student visa.

International students will work with agents or third parties to help them get to the United States for school, “a modern concern has been groups of students from certain countries, Bangladesh being one of them, who will apply to Ashland University. AU is A in the alphabet, easy to apply to, and we make it very easy to apply nationally, and it’s very quick to get your I-20,” said Dr. Robert Pool, Vice President for Student Affairs.

International students will apply to Ashland University, get accepted, receive their student visa or I-20 and then transfer to another school in the states, or they will use this as easy access into the United States.

This year Scott Parillo, director of International Students gave a soft number of 33 students being transferred out of the university. A majority of the students being transferred from Bangladesh, there was also a Chinese student and an Indian student.

“The last time that I saw a big transfer outrighted intake I believe was around maybe 2014,” said Parillo.

Parillo said, “We have some amazing Bangladeshi students, Indian students, and Chinese students, all of them really want to be here. We’ve got a really great community so it’s just trying to figure out, making sure that when they come they actually want to be here.”

The university’s intake for International is typically 30 and they welcomed about 65 new students during August 2022.

The admissions team has been working on solutions to stop this from happening, “they’re reviewing documents to make sure that what they’re getting are actual documents, making sure they’re not seeing the same documentation for financials or for immigration records coming through for different people, I think it’s really going to make a difference,” said Parillo.

Admissions is also now admitting international students only into their academic program, if the student meets all of their requirements then they would be admitted directly into their academic program.

Once the student receives their AU acceptance letter, admissions will start working with the student to get their immigration paperwork.

“This creates a little bit more of a pause to help weed out those students that aren’t serious, that are really just looking to get through it fast,” said Parillo.

In addition to this application process, admissions raised their deposit fee for international students applying from $400 to $1000.