Dauch College of Business and Economics offering tax preparation assistance

Emmalee Lamolinara

Dauch College of Business and Economics.

Emmalee Lamolinara

The Ashland University Dauch College of Business and Economics are again offering free tax preparation through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program for both faculty and students. 

“This program is open to the Ashland community – anyone who is willing to drive to Dauch to drop off their documents can have their taxes completed affording them to meet the eligibility requirements,” Associate Professor of Accounting Victoria Kaskey said.

The requirements for eligibility includes taxpayers who have an income of $54,000 or less. AU will also accommodate free tax preparation and filing services to those that the IRS deems as having “simple returns.” If tax documents are dropped off and students are not able to complete them, the taxpayer will receive a call.

The VITA tax preparers have passed a rigorous IRS exam making them highly qualified to prepare returns,” Kaskey said. “It is a win-win for the community and for AU students!”

For any of those students and faculty that are interested in filing their taxes, they can grab their tax documents in Dauch College of Business in room 101.  

Drop off hours began on Feb. 15, and are Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

Tax documents will be photocopied and uploaded to the tax preparation software program, while originals will be returned to the taxpayer during drop off, Kaskey said.

Participants who would like any assistance in filling out their taxes will be assisted on a first come, first served basis. Those who are interested need to bring their ID, W-2s, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, mortgage interest, real estate tax payments, social security card and all tax documents. 

Kaskey believes the program can also help college students learn the importance of filing taxes.

“While AU students are learning important content to become CPAs and tax preparers, they are also learning a life lesson,” she said “Since the average cost to have a simple federal and state tax return completed is $188, this is a tremendous saving for those who know how to complete their own taxes.”

The last day to drop off your tax documents will be April 9. If you have any questions you can leave a message at 419-207-6239.