Black History Month at Ashland Unviersity

Submitted by: Black Student Alliance

Students discuss black issues and culture at a Black Student Alliance meeting

Mason Savoia

This month the annual celebration of achievements by African Americans is nationally recognized across the United States. February is also used to acknowledge black identity, African heritage, diversity and the black culture ingrained within American culture. Also known as African American History Month, February is seen as Black History Month in America; and many of the students at Ashland University are ready to celebrate and acknowledge it. 

Students at AU are also aware of this national recognition. Melan White, President of the Black Student Alliance said the group formed to create more awareness and understanding for equity and cultural diversity when it comes to acknowledging students of color on Ashland Campus. 

Relatively new, the Black Student Alliance has several recommendations to celebrate and recognize Black History month across Ashland University’s campus. With the intent of creating more space for black students’ voices to be heard, White says the organization will be holding multiple meetings and potential events over the course of the month in order to correspond with the nationally recognized celebration.

“We provide a community on campus for people of color to express how their race makes them unique. I think the way we try to embody that in practice is by having events where it’s not exclusive to black people, but centered around black people.” White said. “Some things we’ve been trying to launch are care packages for students of color or providing space where we will be in common ground if they need support in any kind of way.”

White intends on holding meetings for Black Student Alliance throughout February and through the course of the semester. Black culture is further emphasized this month, and White plans on making it more prominent on campus. The hope is to achieve a greater awareness of African heritage and black culture. 

“Maybe some steps in the right direction [for AU’s campus and staff] are like the English department pairing with the language department. I think the same thing goes for black history. We’ve seen some classes in the religion department where they’re centered on the Civil Rights Movement and the religion behind it.” White said.

White wants African culture to be prominent in the educational system. She wishes for black culture to be put into the curriculum at AU in a larger capacity.

“Everything we’re learning can and does have roots in cultures other than our own. Even in math and science there were black inventors and black scientists There still are today.” White said. “I think it should be in what we’re learning so that when we leave here, we have the knowledge of black and non-black people.”

The Black Student Alliance’s majority of students are juniors and seniors. White and many others in the group are hoping that other students will be a part of the group, not just by attending meetings, but fulfilling leadership roles as well. This will help create longevity in the group’s position on campus.

“I think we have a really strong group of people right now,” White said. “Which made it kind of leadership-heavy. The current leaders are carrying it. The current goal is to have people step up as old leaders transition out.”