AU Study Abroad Director Rebecca Parillo helps deliver new experiences to students

Parillo has had a ton of experience working with students to help them go to many different countries to study
Parillo+abroad+in+Japan.+
Submitted by Rebecca Parillo
Parillo abroad in Japan.

Have you ever wanted to go across seas to experience different cultures while studying at Ashland University? 

If you have then you will have to talk to the lady that is in charge of the study abroad program here at AU, Rebecca Parillo.  

Parillo has had a ton of experience working with students to help them go to many different countries to study. 

While in college, Parillo fell in love with the smaller private institutions. She got her masters in higher administration. After graduating she came to AU in 1990. Her first position here was working with community services and internships.  

“My position here morphed to the study abroad program and I loved it,” said Parillo. 

She explained that she never took advantage of the study abroad program in her last institution, but she traveled with her college roommate after graduation. 

“I can really relate to the students who are hesitant to study abroad, because that was me as a student,” said Parillo. 

After three years with the study abroad program at AU, Parillo wanted to go abroad again. She and her husband moved to Japan to teach English for two years. After those two years she and her husband moved back and was approached by AU to be the Director of the Study Abroad program in 2004. 

Her responsibilities as the Director of the Study Abroad program includes talking to students and faculty at AU. She works closely with faculty to make sure they can include classes that some students may need so they can study abroad.  

She is a pleasure to work with and she is easy to talk to.  I enjoy our discussions and stories about current and future trips within the College of Business and Economics at the undergraduate and graduate levels,” said faculty member Lance Kaltenbaugh. 

On top of that she works closely with travel agents. She has to make sure that everything is taken care of such as the health and safety protocols are taken care of. Sounds like a lot of work for one person, however she does have help from her intern Olivia Ramsdell. 

“This office is a two-man show, but Rebecca virtually does all the work; I just help with the paperwork. She is the one who has connections to the travel agencies, knows what faculty members might like to go on trips or has ideas about new programs, and finalizes each trip together down to the tiniest of details,” Ramsdell explained. 

Even with the obstacle of COVID-19, Parillo has continued to make the study abroad program run. She encourages students to get involved with study abroad and to go talk to her if they are interested.