Ashland University sees club soccer take off on campus

AU hosts both men’s and women’s soccer club teams
Photo taken by Maddie Wade 
The Ashland women’s club in their team uniform ready for what the season brings to them. 

The Ashland University women’s soccer club has made its return and are able to play games since the start of COVID-19.  

The women’s soccer club is a less competitive level of soccer compared to that of the collegiate team here at AU. President of the club, Maddie Wade, explains that being a member of the club is a great way for people to build friendships and stay in shape.  

“It is a fun way of staying in active and making new relationships,” said Wade. 

Wade mentioned that she has contacted many other universities about scheduling games. She said that they do have a good number of games scheduled this semester. The games normally are on the weekends.  

Games are both home and away typically on weekends. Some are women’s games, and some are Co-ed, combining with our men’s club team,” said Hope Cousens, a member of the club. 

The club meets twice a week for practices, on Tuesdays and Thursdays the team practices from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. They practice with the men’s soccer club. Their practices consist of drills, scrimmages and fun games such as “World Cup”. The club practices at the intramural fields and when the weather gets bad the club meets at the MAC courts at the Rec center.  

“My experience has been very positive since joining the club. The team environment is very relaxed and welcoming. It was a great way to make friends with common interests at the beginning of the school year. We prioritize having fun and getting better. I know that my teammates will challenge me and encourage me,” Cousens explained. 

After practices, the club focuses on team bonding to help become closer with each other.  

“After practices we will have dinners at Convo together and go to on-campus events and sporting games together. Our team loves to hangout outside of soccer,” said Lauren Bartlett, vice president of the club. 

The club currently has 15 members but are looking for more. If interested in joining the club, you can email the club [email protected] or reach out on Instagram @auwclubsoccer. 

“We would also love to have people come to support and watch these games, they are free and open to everyone! Club soccer is a great time and I love all the friendships I have made through the team,” said Barrlett.