AU announces new Director of Tennis Operations, Eric Gibson

Gibson joins the Eagles for the start of the 2023-24 campaign
Kutztown Athletics
Gibson plays in an outing for Kutztown University during his college career.

New Ashland University men’s and women’s tennis coach Eric Gibson is ready to start his first season at the helm for the Eagles.

During the summer of 2023, AU was hit with a vacancy at the head coaching position, and the search began instantly.

The process for hiring the tennis coach was no different than what we do for a lot of our hires,” Athletic Director Al King said. “We post the job on campus, regionally and nationally.”

The search for the team’s next leader lasted just a short few months as on July 20, the athletic department announced that Gibson had landed the position as the Director of Tennis Operations, serving as the head coach for both teams. 

He has a decorated background that made him an instant candidate for the position.

He played competitive tennis in high school, then went on to play for Kutztown University in his college career as a player. After his time playing came to a close, he switched his focus to a coaching career, which began at Penn State Abington.

“I’ve always had the dream and determination to become a college tennis coach, and the past few years have been very formative in my development as a young professional,” said Gibson.

King mentioned how Gibson may be a young coach but has experienced a lot of success in that short time.

Not only has he shown it on the stat-sheet, but also in the recruiting category as he’s brought in tremendous athletes both internationally and close to home.

Eric can bring fresh ideas to the program. He’s coming from a different part of the country and he’s seen how teams there operate” said King.

Prior to joining the Eagles, he coached at Chestnut Hill College, where he established an important locker room culture which he hopes to bring to AU. 

Some of Gibson’s goals are to create a great team environment, dedicate his players and to have his players succeed both on the court and in life.

“I believe this season will be filled with many great moments and memories that will last a lifetime. Expect to see a motivated group of young men and women representing their university with dignity and respect, all the while looking to improve daily as tennis players and as people. There is much to be excited for this season, and I cannot wait to begin” said Gibson.

With a new head coach for the tennis team, expectations are high and he hopes to make a big impact from day one.