Hueston Holder steps in as AU interim swim team coach

The Eagles look for early success behind their new head coach
113 Views
Gage Eldridge
Eagle Interim Head Coach Hueston Holder stands in front of the AU pool.

With a vacancy at the head coach spot on the Ashland University swim team, Hueston Holder has stepped up to be the interim coach and has taken control of the team’s practices.   

Holder was once a former swimmer on the AU team. He took his first dive in the pool as a freshman in 2010, now 13 years later he is coaching the current freshman until they find a new head coach after the departure of Kyle Walthall.

Growing up in Iowa, Holder was raised in a wrestling family. After a collarbone injury Holder suffered at a young age, he decided to take up the sport of swimming. 

I was tall, lanky, and average at best,” said Holder.  

However, he dedicated his time to the sport and proved he was able to take that next step and committed to swimming here for AU. 

Holder had found as he described his “home away from home”.  

He remembers his time here as nothing but a good time. When he wasn’t in the pool he spent most of his time in convo bonding and joking around with the friends he made here.  

He also was a DJ for the campus radio station 88.9 WRDL.   

While in the pool he credits his coaches Paul Graham and James Carey for his success. By the time his swim career ended in 2014 he was an All-American swimmer.  

After graduating from Ashland, Holder joined the military and would move around quite often. While moving around Holder found an opening at a coaching spot here for the swim team.  

“It was hard to believe my dream job was vacant, so it was too good not to apply,” Holder explained. 

After getting an interview, and meeting with the coach and the swimmers he wanted the job even more. Once he got the job he was excited and ready to start. He was so excited to tell his family he got the position.  

“I first told my wife then my parents – they were just happy they kept their Ashland apparel from when I was here for the first go-around,”  he said. 

“Hueston is an amazing coach, and he has helped a lot in building the program to a healthy and athletic environment,” said Captain Emma Okuma 

Right now Holder has the responsibility as the head coach until a new one is found. He is getting our current swimmers ready for the season. He is also being helped by the appointed captains Emma Okuma and Josh Hagan.   

“The swim and dive program is in good hands until we find a new head coach” Okuma said about Holder.  

Hueston Holder is happy to take on this challenge and hopes students and faculty can come and cheer on the swim team.