AU’s Recreational Center introduces Intramural Holiday Volleyball Tournament

Dive into an Intramural Holiday Volleyball Tournament at the Rec 
Submitted by the AU Rec Center
The winning team poses with the championship banner after the tournament last year.  

On Saturday, Dec. 2, a six vs. six volleyball tournament will be held at the Recreation and Wellness Center as an intramural event.  

The tournament will start at 11 a.m. on gym courts one and two. Each game will be the best of three sets, meaning the team has to win two of the three sets. The first two sets are played to twenty-five, and the third is played to fifteen if needed. Each match is scheduled in thirty-minute blocks. Students and staff are allowed to participate in the tournament as they are in any intramural event.  

Nick Sparr, the graduate assistant of programs, intermural sports, and sports clubs, said, “This tournament is the last intramural event of the semester, and it is a fun thing for everyone to do.” He explained there will be an indoor intramural volleyball league in the spring.  

The registration deadline is Wednesday, Nov. 29. A team captain can register up to ten people per team. To balance the teams out, there is a limit to how many club or varsity volleyball players can be on each team. The teams also need to be made up of both males and females. During the game, there will be six players on the court, three males and three females.  

Francesco Chiappo, a participant in the event last year, said, “Mixing boys and girls was also fun because you get to play against some girls that played volleyball in high school or current volleyball players for AU. Even though it is played with a bunch of your friends, it is competitive, which makes it a lot of fun.” 

The event is free to play and free for spectators as well. Students can swipe in at the front desk of the Recreation and Wellness Center. Other observers can watch the event from the observation deck.  

There will be a brief meeting with the captain of each team on Thursday, Nov. 30. The meeting will discuss the rules and regulations, the expectations, and the team dynamics.  

A player and champion from last year’s tournament, Sam Jordan, said, “It was nice to play in a competitive environment and be able to enjoy playing too. The more teams, the better. It is great to get a team together. Especially if volleyball is something you enjoy doing.”  

For more information or any questions regarding the tournament, contact [email protected].