AU’s International Education Students Week in full swing 

The entire week is hosted by the Ashland Center for English Studies and the Study Abroad Program.
Students from China and Bangladesh in the international student’s program last spring 2022.  

This week is International Education Students Week to celebrate the culture of each one of the international students here at Ashland University. 

The entire week is hosted by the Ashland Center for English Studies (ACCESS) and the study Abroad Program. Both programs offer unique programs for international students wanting to study in the States and AU students who want to study internationally.  

Jennifer Wininger, Director of ACCESS and International Student Services said, “American students need to be aware of the breadth of global understanding right at their fingertips.” 

She explained this week is for American students to broaden their horizons, and their views will change drastically.  

Making friends with an international student can broaden the realization that there are different ways to do things, respect why they do certain things, and learn about the varieties of cultures at AU. 

The week started with an international lunch in the John C. Myers Convocation Center on Monday, Oct 23. The lunch provided students an opportunity to learn about the students around them and their cultures. ESL (English as a second language) students mixed and mingled with over a dozen American staff members and students to practice their English skills, gain confidence, and educate about their culture.   

The next event was tea tasting in the Student Center lobby from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 24. The event provides insight into cultures around the world with an accompaniment of tea and snacks. International faculty members and students from Nepal, India, Ukraine, China, and Morocco shared their tea from their country and their favorite tea to drink. 

On Wednesday, Oct. 25, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., the World Café event took place in Bangladesh. The World Café event is monthly, and students from different countries share about their own countries. American students can learn some different and unexpected facts from the comfort of Eagles Landing. The students sharing on Wednesday are from Bangladesh.  

To round out the week, there will be Henna tattooing offered in Eagles Landing from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 26. Henna is a form of tattooing that lasts for about a month, originating in India, Bangladesh, and Nepal. It is done in beautiful patterns and designs with a natural ink. Students from the international student body will be performing the henna. 

“Take the time to come back international friends and learn something new while you have the advantage right around you” said Wininger.