AU’s Parking Lot I to become two separate lots with renovations 

The parking lot located on both College Ave. and Claremont Ave is currently being renovated
Blaire Testa
Construction workers continue to build the brick wall in front of the new Parking Lot I.

Previously known as Parking Lot I, the lot is under construction to become a new and improved Parking Lot I and a new visitor lot, Parking Lot V. 

The parking lot located on both College Ave. and Claremont Ave is currently being renovated. The lot was previously KD Allegro Pizzeria and has become a collection of demolished buildings over the last few years.  

Recently known as Lot I, the parking lot is unsuitable for students, visitors, as well as the university. 

The section of the parking lot closest to College Ave is hoped to be finished with asphalt by the end of this fall, yet the project is entirely weather-dependent.  

Rick Ewing, Vice President of Operations and Planning, said, “The asphalt companies stop producing when the weather gets too cold, so if we cannot finish by that time, it will be completely asphalted and finished by spring.” 

Dwight Schar funded the project as one of the beautification projects that he felt was important and provided the funds to make it happen. He believed this area was the ‘front door to the university.’  

Ewing said, “We needed to enhance the gateway experience as visitors and students approach campus from either side.” 

The planning started in the early summer of 2022 and looks to be finished by the spring of 2024. The new lot will have extensive improvement, including proper lighting, asphalt grounding, concrete curbs, and new sidewalks surrounding it. 

The parking lot was in definite need of repurposing to better both the students and the visitors. For commuter students, parking is a must. Parking Lot I had inferior parking; potholes were everywhere, and it was unsafe in the winter.  

The parking lot will be split into two sections: Parking Lot I will continue to be used for commuters, while the new Parking Lot V will be a new visitor lot near the Welcome Center and the Lyceum Library Café.  

Ewing said, “By creating the Welcome Center parking lot, visitors will now have convenient, easily accessible, and highly visible parking.” 

There is currently a brick wall that runs in front of the Business building and the Welcome Center. The workers are building a new wall to continue in front of the new parking area.  

A construction worker on the site said, “The hardest challenge as the workers we have had to work through is the footers for the brick wall were not done by us.” 

The footing is the bottom of the foundation and prevents settling.  

With any project, there will be a handful of complications and challenges. There is a current public alley that bisects the entire parking lot.  

The Operations and Planning team had to talk with the adjacent property owners, city officials, the city engineer, the mayor, and the city council.  

There will be a public hearing with the City Council on Oct. 17, to consider the changes and negotiations. 

Ewing said, “With the negotiation, we were able to create a new public access to still have an entrance to the businesses in the area.” 

The new parking lots will be convenient, safe, and accessible for students, visitors, and Ashland community members.