AU College Republican and Democrat organizations set to hold voter registration drive

The event will take place on Sept. 18 and 25, and Oct. 2 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
The College Republicans stand for a picture in front of the organizations logo.

The Ashland University College Republican and Democrat organizations on campus are set to hold a co-hosted voter registration drive during September and October.  

The event will take place in the Hawkins-Conard Student Center from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Sept. 18 and 25, and Oct. 2.  

Students and community members who need to register to vote or have questions about the registration process are encouraged to attend the event.  

With the Nov. 7 election fast approaching, registering to vote by Oct. 10 is a necessity. If a student is not registered by this time, they cannot vote in the upcoming election. The election will include Issue 1, Issue 2, and local races. Issue 1 discusses reproductive rights while Issue 2 discusses legalizing marijuana in Ohio. The younger generation is affected by both issues.  

Claire Houchin, the College Republicans’ president said, “We are trying to get as many young members to register as possible. They are the largest group that is not registered and do not participate in the voting because of this.”  

Houchin explained if the younger generation at Ashland University and in the community were to register to vote at this event, they would be able to vote on what they think is right and have more of a say in elections and decisions.  

Houchin explained the event will have two executive board members of each organization at the tables helping with registering.  

Each table will have information for people to register to vote and a laptop to register online if they choose to do so. The executive boards of both organizations will be available to answer questions and direct students in the voter registration process. 

President of the College Democrats, Olivia Ortiz said “If a student does not want to register at the specific time of the event, it is a great reminder for them to do so in the future.”  

“The event will be extremely convenient for students to register to vote or be reminded to later if needed,” Ortiz explained.  

Ortiz recommends students bring a computer, an Ohio-issued ID or driver’s license, and the last four digits of their social security number.  

“The event will have the actual voter registration for the state of Ohio for Ohio residents only. If they are not Ohio residents, we can still remind people to register to vote,” said Ortiz.