Women’s soccer looks for another GMAC title

WESLEY SEYFANG

Last season, led by freshman goalkeeper Maddie Dolenga, the women’s soccer team takes the field with confidence as they hold an undefeated conference record. In 2022, they look to continue their program dominance.

The Eagles are looking to run it back for another GMAC championship after winning it last season, and being voted the favorite to win the conference again by the GMAC preseason coaches poll.

The Ashland University Women’s soccer team has been getting ready for their season which starts Aug. 25 against Embry-Riddle. Since the last season, the team lost countless seniors, but in response, the team brought in 15 new players. Head coach Cayleb Paulino stated, “I think we will have a different look, a lot of new faces in different roles, and overall a lot more versatility”.

He wants to push his team to want more and to have higher aspirations. Their goals are higher for this season with their first goal being to build a culture of being good teammates, people, and students.

He also wants his team to make it farther on a national level. “The team’s goals are we want to go all the way in our conference again and we want to go undefeated” stated junior Maddy Grabowski. Sophomore Mckinley Mendenhall mentions that the team wants to make it past the top four in the national tournament.

Coach Paulino believes their biggest strength going into the season is the depth of their roster. He believes that this will help his team make a deeper run during the season and in post-season tournaments. Both teammates Grabowski and Mendenhall believe that the team’s preparation of pushing each other to be the best they can be gives them the advantage to go far this season.

“I think we will see a fun and talented group” states Paulino. Grabowski says that some of the players to watch this season are senior Bailey Clark, fifth-year Riley Howman, and sophomore Mckinley Mendenhall.

Head Coach Cayleb Paulino wants his team to raise the bar. He knows that all the teams will be coming for them as they are favored. Only time will tell how the season will go but the team spirit is high for the season.